Armchair BEA: Best of 2011



I’ve already read at least fifty books this year. No, I’m serious. I just counted 43 on my blog and I know there are at least ten I haven’t mentioned yet. Then again, I’ve always been a fast reader.

I’ve decided to highlight my top ten books so far this year, 1/5 of what I’ve read. Narrowing it down was so hard. There are so many books I loved that didn’t make this list! Also, the list really isn’t in any particular order because I love a lot of them equally!

(Huh, doing this just made me realize that I've put aside a LOT of my adult novels this year for the latest and greatest teen reads!)




MY TOP TEN TO-DATE OF 2011




DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver: Okay, this one is my favorite book so far this year. I’m obsessed with it. Oliver has a beautiful way about making you care about her characters. I’m dying for books two and three! (Book Review)

THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab: My other favorite book of 2011. The descriptions are STUNNING. They give me goosebumps. I can’t wait to buy a finished copy when this novel comes out in August and read it again! (You’re Gonna Love Me post; interview with Schwab)
WARPED by Maurissa Guibord: This high fantasy novel swept me away to new heights. It’s one of the best teen fantasy debuts since Kristin Cashore hit the scene with GRACELING. Plus, there’s a unicorn. And a hot guy. And an awesome romance! *swoon* (You're Gonna Love Me; interview with Schwab)

UNEARTHLY by Cynthia Hand: The book I didn’t think I’d *like* is one of my favorites of the year. I’m not a big angel person, but Hand made me care deeply for all of her characters, even minor ones such as the mother and brother. OMG, and I’m totally Team Tucker. Why is there no Tucker in my life? I’m ashamed for judging this amazing book before I read it! (Book Review)

WITHER by Lauren DeStefano: This and DELIRIUM are, hands down, two of the best Dystopian entries since THE HUNGER GAMES. WITHER is one of the grittier novels in this genre, full of harsh realities and horrible circumstances. The topics aren’t for everyone, but the book is so.good! (Book Review; Break-Down)

GODMOTHER by Carolyn Turgeon: I loved both this and MERMAID, but chose GODMOTHER for a Top Ten of the year because of the psychological impact and the way it tossed me around. It was dark and gritty like the original tales tend to be, and not at all the sort of re-telling I was expecting. (Book Review; interview with Turgeon)

LOST VOICES by Sarah Porter: Can I just say: MERMAIDS!!! Do you need another reason to read this book? Okay, okay. I love the way this isn’t a re-telling of THE LITTLE MERMAID, but a world out of Porter’s own imagination. It’s deceptively beautiful; beneath the surface of these mermaids lurk dangerous secrets. I also was taken in by the way mermaids come into being. Porter brought so much of her own, unique mythology to this novel. I can’t wait to buy a finished copy in July! (You’re Gonna Love Me, Interview with Porter)

HEX HALL/DEMONGLASS by Rachel Hawkins: Another series I didn’t think I would like. I’m not huge on paranormals focusing on vampires/witches/werewolves/fairies/etc., so the concept of all these supernatural creatures together at a boarding school made me raise my eyebrows. But the books are SO GOOD! Like, insanely good. Like, laugh-out-loud funny good. They’re not dripping with crazy angst like so many paranormals these days. It’s more focused on a mystery, and Hawkins has an amazing writing style. Plus, DEMONGLASS totally killed me: I need TRIPLE XXX right NOW, please! (HH Book Review; DG Book Review)

THE FALSE PRINCESS by Eilis O’Neal: A sleeper hit! I was expecting to enjoy this book, but didn’t think I’d love it quite as much as I did. It reminds me of Shannon Hale’s THE GOOSE GIRL in reverse. While there are fairy tale-like elements at play, the story is original and breath-taking, full of unique ideas and an amazing sense of girl power. I can’t wait to read O’Neal’s next novel! (Book Review; interview with O’Neal)

SILVER PHOENIX/FURY OF THE PHOENIX by Cindy Pon: Okay, SP was a re-read right before FURY came out, but it reminded me of how much I love and miss Pon’s amazing characters. It was like coming home and reuniting with an old friend. While I didn’t like FURY quite as much, I still enjoyed it and was happy to see the storylines come to a natural conclusion. I can’t wait to read Pon’s next novel. If you’re a fan of high fantasy and well-written epic adventures, this is one duo you don’t want to miss! (Book Review; interview with Pon)






BEA MOST WANTED OF 2011





THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER by Michelle Hodkin
ALL THESE THINGS I'VE DONE by Gabrielle Zevin
LEGEND by Marie Lu
CROSSED by Ally Condie
THE PLEDGE by Kimberly Derting
AUDITION by Stasia Ward Kehoe
LIESL & PO by Lauren Oliver
BREADCRUMBS by Anne Ursu
VIRTUOSITY by Jessica Martinez
WITCHSONG by Amber Argyle

(Choosing just ten? Also hard!!)

Comments

  1. I also have Crossed and The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer on my list. Can't wait for them to come out! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I too LOVED Tucker in Unearthly! *swoon*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the giveaway. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. And thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm happy to have your blog on my list of blogs I follow, now I have a new blog to read in my google reader. Thanks for the blogship, hope to stay connected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You liked many of the same books I did so far in 2011. :-)

    Where did you find the BEA book list to pick from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Semisweet: Fuller response on your blog!

    @Jess *swoon* Need more Tucker NOW!

    @Lena: You're welcome! Good luck to you! I can't wait to keep up with you more!

    @Gina: We have similar tastes; that's why we get along so well. :) The Armchair website has links to a some of the featured BEA books. I've also seen authors discussing going/etc. on their blogs lately. There might be a couple on the list not at BEA, though. I'm not 100% sure on a couple of the titles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh you've read a bunch I would *love* to get my hands on! I'm really glad to hear The Near Witch made your Top Ten because I've been anticipating that one for a long time. I've also heard some good things about The False Princess, sounds like it's right up my alley (I LOVE Shannon Hale's The Goose Girl). And yes, Team Tucker ftw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to read The False Princess! I adore The Goose Girl!! It's so hard to find people that have read that book. Also one of my all time favorite fairy tales.

    Lost Voices really has to be one of my all time favorite mermaid books. It was so original, and beautifully written. I, too, can't wait to buy furnished copies. Can you believe I found an ARC at my local used book store?! Score for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great list! I loved Delirium, and am so excited to read Wither! Oh, and don't even get me started on your most anticipated list; I want almost all of them so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Danya: THE NEAR WITCH was one of my *absolute favorites* I hope you'll love it as much as I did! Mm, and if you liked THE GOOSE GIRL, you'll really like THE FALSE PRINCESS, I promise! TUCKER, WHOO!!

    @Flashlight Reader: Yes, you must! Really? Everyone I know has read GOOSE GIRL and/or PRINCESS ACADEMY and none of Hale's other books. I own every single book by her and have met her twice. OBSESSED! You'll definitely like THE FALSE PRINCESS! You found an ARC of LOST VOICES at your used bookstore? That's *amazing* Who would do that...and what store would buy it from someone when it says "Not for Sale" all over the place? LOL! Glad you snagged it, though! It's one of my favorite mermaid novels, too. So original and unique!

    @Penelope: Enjoy WITHER! It's excellent! Yay, glad we have similar tastes in what we want coming up! *drools all over future books*

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have so many books in common! No wonder I like your blog so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Vy: I know, right? Likewise! I always love seeing what you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
  12. great books! I lved Delirium, struggled a bit with Wither and Possession Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE your list!! Delirium, Wither, Unearthly and both Hex Hall books are all so ridiculously AWESOME! The quality of YA novels lately has me both crazy excited yet terrified at the thought of the effect it will have on my bank account.

    I REALLY want to read THe False Princess. You got me so excited for it in your review! Crossed, Legend, Mara Dyer, The Pledge, All These Things I've Done.... oh boy. Someone shove me in a cold shower, I'm heating up here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Fiction State of Mind: Aw, I'm sorry you struggled with POSSESSION and WITHER! I'm glad you liked DELIRIUM, though! I adored that book so much! Thanks for stopping back!

    @Brodie: I know, right? I'm so lucky I get a discount and/or wait for bargains! Or else I'd be beyond broke. Too many amazing books coming out! I can't wait to hear what you think about THE FALSE PRINCESS! And you see how much we have in common? We want to read the same books! ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!