{Mad About Nails} Minion Nail Art

I've had quite a few people comment on my nails in the past ask what I was using or wish I'd done a close-up so they could see better, etc., etc., and had a realization: Why not do a feature on nail polish? It's not book-related (Unless you're wearing the new HUNGER GAMES-inspired line from China Glaze, but I'm not even going into how wrong that is...), but it's fun. Plus, if I do this feature, I'll be more likely to re-paint my nails this week and less likely to let them chip their way to the bare bones (which would mean that I could see my nails...and if I see them, I want to bite them!).

Welcome back to another edition of Mad About Nails! 

This week, to celebrate the release of Minions in theaters, I decided to re-create a nail design that I did and fell in love with a couple of years ago when Despicable Me was in theaters!

AND THEN I discovered that I never posted about that design on here.
...Oops? ^^;;;;

BUT THEN!!!! I discovered that I saved pictures and filmed a video, so I took all those goodies and added them to today's post!


This year's Minion nails!
My Minion nail art from a couple of years ago!

Very similar, right!?


I actually used pretty much the exact same colors!!!



I started off with a basecoat of Essie "Millionails" and a coat of Essie "Grow Stronger."

 My nails are breaking pretty frequently ATM, so I'm trying to strengthen them again! I picked up "Millionails" at Target to try, and saw on the back of the box that it said to pair this with "Grow Stronger."

So that's what I'm doing! (My Target, however, didn't sell GS, but ULTA does!)

My nails have gotten nice and long and strong, haven't they??

(Two years ago, I used a basecoat of ORLY bonder!)


Yep, almost exactly what I used this year, too!
Just substitute the ORLY BONDER for ESSIE Millionails and ESSIE Grow Stronger,
the Revlon Quick Dry Top Coat for HK Girl Glisten and Glow,
And get rid of the black nail striper!!!

For my base color:


FRENCH TIPS: I used two coats of OPI "Steady As She Rose" from the Pirates of the Caribbean collection. This is my favorite color to use when doing French Tips!

MINIONS: I started with a layer of Wet n Wild "French White Créme" followed by two coats of Sally Hansen HD "Lite" to make the yellow "pop" more. Using white before a neon or bright always helps!

For my design:


FRENCH TIPS: I used one coat of Sally Hansen HD "Spectrum," followed by a line of L.A. Colors Art Deco "Yellow" (Thank goodness I found a new bottle at the Dollar Store yesterday because when making my Minion Art, I discovered I was running out!!!), followed by one more coat of "Spectrum" (To make the lines even).

Two years ago, I used China Glaze "Fairy Dust" on top of everything to match the HD Polish a little better. I couldn't figure out where I stuck my bottle, so I went without this year. You can see the difference!!!

MINIONS: I used a dotting tool and Wet n Wild "Black Creme" to make the lines of the goggles and the mouth, then used Pure Ice "Silver Mercedes" for the silver of the goggles, then a little more "Black Creme" for the eye pupils.

I also used Sally Hansen HD "Spectrum" for the blue of the French Tip!

Top Coat

I topped everything off with HK GIRL "Glisten & Glow." You can easily buy this online from HK Girl. I bought this online because I'd heard it was the best top coat to use with nail art. It doesn't smear or streak your art, dries fast, and lasts a long time. I've been very happy with it!

Two years ago, I used Revlon Quick Dry as my top coat. I LOVE this top coat, even now, but not for nail art!!!!

I think they came out cute, don't you?

 Is anyone else obsessed with nail polish? What are you wearing right now?

If you do a similar design, I'd love to see! ❤ 

Comments