Round-up of Fairy Tale Titles coming in 2013

Click here to go back to the Fairy Tale Fortnight Main Page, 
where you can access the schedule!
Here's what's going on at A Backwards Story!
 Or go here to get involved!


Round-Up of Fairy Tale Titles
Coming in 2013

It's the last day of Fairy Tale Fortnight, and there were some books that I didn't get a chance to r&r.  For example, WITCHES ABROAD by Terry Pratchett, THE SNOW CHILD by Eowyn Ivey, and NAMELESS by Lili St. Crow, to recall three.  You'll see me review them soon, though!

Misty and I have also reviewed a few 2013 titles before their launch date during FTF, and authors have dropped hints about future books in several interviews now.  Check our blogs to find out more about titles such as FAIREST OF THEM ALL by Carolyn Turgeon, OF BEAST AND BEAUTY by Stacey Jay, and more!

I've been working on rolling my weekly feature Mythological Mondays into a new Tuesday feature entitled A Twist in the Tail.  A friend is helping me with the banner's illustration, and as soon as he's done, it will go live!  It will mix mythology, mermaids, fairy tales, folklore, classic stories retold, etc.  I'm really excited, and hope you will be as well!

For now, here are a few of the 2013 titles I'm really excited about!


THE SCHOOL FOR GOOD AND EVIL
I'll be doing an interview with the author and reviewing the book in May.  The publisher requested to wait a little longer to feature this one, so it didn't quite make its way to FTF.

But I'm really excited about this one!  

A school to learn how to be a fairy tale character? I so want in.


SOLD FOR ENDLESS RUE by Madeleine E. Robins
Jen from Literally Jen told me about this title during FTF and Tor was kind enough to send me a review copy, but I didn't have time to squeeze it in for the event.

The summary's hook alone got me:

This captivating historical answers the question, "Why did Rapunzel's mother lock her in the tower?"

GRIM Anthology (Various Authors; title may change)
Forthcoming anthology from Harlequin Teen.  I mentioned it in yesterday's Anthology vlog.

Just LOOK at this line-up:

Christine Johnson (Editor), Kimberly Derting, Sonia Gensler, Tessa Gratton, Claudia Gray, Rachel Hawkins, Amanda Hocking, Ellen Hopkins, Shaun David Hutchinson, Julie Kagawa, Malinda Lo, Myra McEntire, Saundra Mitchell, Jackson Pearce, Sarah Rees Brennan, Dia Reeves, Jon Skovran, Jeri Smith Ready …

DEATH'S APPRENTICE: A Grimm City Novel by K.W. Jeter and Gareth Jefferson Jones
Okay, this technically came out in Oct. 2012, but I plan to read it in 2013, so it still counts, right?

This sounds like such a dark, gritty world, the way so many fairy tales were meant to be portrayed.  It features both familiar, and obscure fairy tales, as well as "unknown" sagas and essays from the Brothers Grimm.  

I have to say, I'm curious about this mash-up!

RAPUNZEL UNTANGLED
ENCHANTED FAIRY TALES 
Both by Cindy C. Bennett
RAPUNZEL UNTANGLED came out this past February in hardcover, but I have yet to read it!  
Cindy C. Bennett also put out five novellas featuring fairy tales and bound them all together in ENCHANTED FAIRY TALES.:

Beautiful Beast, Red and the Wolf, Snow White, Midnight Masquerade, and The White Swan.

I want to read them all!

BEAUTY by Nancy Ohlin
This sounds like a mash-up of so many fairy tales.  The main character's mother hates her due to, as the title hints, beauty.  

Queen Veda sends her daughter Ana off to boarding school.  Out of sight, out of mind, right?  

Nancy Ohlin was supposed to stop by for Fairy Tale Fortnight, but we weren't able to work it out.  She'll be stopping by A Backwards Story and The Book Rat closer to when BEAUTY publishes, though, so look forward to that!

COLD SPELL by Jackson Pearce
I have loved every novel I've read so far by Pearce, so I'm really excited for another.

If the author wrote fairy tales forever, I'd be happy...!

I'm especially excited for this one because The Snow Queen is one of my all-time favorite fairy tales.

SLEEPING BEAUTY'S DAUGHTERS by Diane Zahler
Fairy tale author Diane Zahler is back with yet another tale for middle-grade readers.

I have to wonder about this one.  With a title like that, does the book trace back to one of the darker, more obscure tales of Sleeping Beauty?  Such as the fact that Sleeping Beauty was impregnated by the prince before she ever woke up?  Or will it be a lighter, happier tale, with daughters from after Sleeping Beauty marries her Prince?

RAGS AND BONES: New Twists on Timeless Tales
Smart Chicks Kick It may have come to an end, but many of the authors are back, this time with new friends and fairy tale offerings.

Will we get a new tour with these talented authors?

Melissa Marr (Editor), Tim Pratt (Editor), Neil Gaiman, Carrie Ryan, Gene Wolfe, Kelley Armstrong, Rick Yancey, Kami Garcia , Charles Vess, Holly Black, Garth Nix, Margaret Stohl, Saladin Ahmed

WHO NEEDS MAGIC?
Last year during FTF, I reviewed DON'T EXPECT MAGIC, about a girl who doesn't believe in magic until she finds out that her dad is a fairy godfather--and she's inherited his magical genes!

I didn't have time to read the sequel for this year's FTF, but I'll try to have a review up closer to when the book releases in July.

THE MIDNIGHT DRESS by Karen Foxlee
I don't know if this one is actually a fairy tale retelling or not, but it sounds like it could be a retelling of Cinderella.  

I just heard about it this week because it was a WoW title for Icey Books, but now I'm intrigued to read it!





 What titles have I missed?
What are YOU most excited about?

Comments

  1. I hadn't heard of Sold for Endless Rue before, but now have added it to my Goodreads TBR! There aren't that many Rapunzel retellings out there and I'm interested to see what a historical version would look like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm already signed up to get some of these, but The Midnight Dress is new to me which led to a whole bunch of other books when I added it on Amazon. Fairy Tales are huge this year, magic is big this year I guess is a better way to put it. Thanks for highlighting these. I'm really looking forward to Rag add Bone!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!