{FTF Review} DON'T EXPECT MAGIC by Kathy McCullough


Welcome to Fairy Tale Fortnight, home of fairy tale lovers everywhere!
Check out my daily schedule of events!
Check out what The Book Rat & Basically Amazing Books have in store as well!

~*~

O P E N I N G   H O O K:


OF COURSE I'M CURSED with the most uncomfortable seat on the plane.  The cushion's deflated in this bizarrely lopsided way, like somebody with one butt cheek exponentially bigger than the other sat there before me and crushed it.  My overhead light's burned out and the bald guy in front of me dropped his diet Dr Pepper, splashing sticky soda all over my backpack, which I had wedged under the seat.

It shouldn't be called Murphy's Law, it should be called Delaney Collins's Law, because I'm living it.  If something can go wrong, it does, and anything bad just gets worse.  I don't even want to be on this plane.  But I have no choice.

For now, anyway.
(pg. 1, US Hardcover Edition)

~*~
Delaney Collins hates her life.  After her mother passes away, she's forced to move across the country to live with the father she hasn't seen in years.  He's never carved out enough time to be with her, and she resents him and his lifestyle.  What Delaney doesn't realize is that her father is harboring a secret.  He only moonlights as a life coach and bestselling self-help author.  In reality, he's a fairy godfather.  Delaney's mother never wanted her to know the truth and thought her husband chose this lifestyle, when in reality, he didn't.  Delaney's father admits that he constantly watched her to see if she possessed the f.g. gene, but determined that she didn't.  Only...Delaney isn't so sure.  Her mom always called her a lucky charm when she was younger, and if she concentrates really hard, she can make strange things happen even now.  But if Delaney is a fairy godmother, she needs to practice and grant someone's deepest wish.  She thinks she knows exactly what to do, only to find out that she has no clue.

DON'T EXPECT MAGIC reads really fast and is perfect if looking for something light.  There's not as much magic as you would initially expect, but it was so interesting to see fairy godmothers (and godfathers!) from a new perspective.  In particular, I love the idea of a fairy godfather!  I really grew to love Delaney's dad and loved watching the two slowly repair their fractured relationship.  This was one of the highlights for me. 

I also enjoyed the way McCullough characterized Delaney.  She's bitter and sarcastic, but also has a sweet side.  She's insanely artistic, too.  I really liked seeing her fleshed out.  Delaney is the face of so many of today's teenagers and is immensely relatable.  While the story's plot is easy to put together as you read, the ride is still a fun one with enough depth to have readers caring about Delaney as she grows and evolves.
~*~
C O V E R   D E S I G N:

This cover, again, is what first drew me to DON'T EXPECT MAGIC.  It was so intriguing and unique.  I love the mix of light and dark.  It intrigued me to see a girl wearing lacy tights and studded boots on a beach.  I wanted to know more!


I also like the way the title was designed, boxed in by a purple[!!!] rectangle scattered with stars.  I also like the way the font curls the "d" and the "g" in the title.


Overall, this title is fun, and leaves me without any expectations other than curiosity!


Once you read the book, the cover makes so much sense!  I can totally see Delaney rocking that outfit on the beach!

  ~*~
O F F I C I A L   I N F O:


Title: DON'T EXPECT MAGIC
Author: Kathy McCullough
Release Date: Out Nov. 08, 2011
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers/Random House
Received: Borrowed

SUMMARY:

Delaney Collins doesn't believe in fairy tales. And why should she? Her mom is dead, her best friend is across the country, and she's stuck in California with "Dr. Hank," her famous life-coach father—a man she barely knows. Happily ever after? Yeah, right.
Then Dr. Hank tells her an outrageous secret: he's a fairy godmother—an f.g.—and he can prove it. And by the way? The f.g. gene is hereditary. Meaning there's a good chance that New Jersey tough girl Delaney is someone's fairy godmother.
But what happens when a fairy godmother needs a wish of her own?

Comments

  1. This one does have a super cute cover. Does it have a younger-YA/MG feel in tone and voice? That's the vibe I'm getting from it but maybe that's just me, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one and I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adored this book, but I didn't like the cover. While that drew me in, I felt it's a wrong fit. I think that Delaney's snark is a bit snarkier than the cover suggests. Still absolutely adored this book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!