You're Gonna LOVE...THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE by V.E. Schwab!




A sneak peek now, a full review when the book releases!
(Basically, it's a feature to squee about books I really love that aren't coming out anytime soon. 
It's way too early to review them, but not too early to tell you to start salivating and adding it to your TBR List!) 

&
Love fairy tales and mythology?
Fans of mermaids, dragons, unicorns, and other mythical creatures?
Enjoy when a beloved classic tale is retold?
A Twist in the Tail Thursdays features all this and more!




Welcome to another A Twist in the Tail Thursday, bookworms! Originally, I'd planned a review for today because I just realized I HAVEN'T reviewed a book that I thought I had (Thanks, Instagram. I must have done a mini-review there and mentally marked it done. Oops!).

Life, however, has other plans for me and you today. I came down with a migraine last night that is finally going away now, and I woke up to a thunderstorm this morning, with only 40% computer battery, so I'm going to do a short post today -- but still a good one, I hope!

I am currently reading one of everyone's Most Anticipated Books of 2020, THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE by V.E. Schwab. My birthday was last week, and I always give myself the gift of reading any book I want "just because." I started this one for my birthday, and have been reading it in small sips between other books for the past week.

Now, ADDIE LARUE is not in any way, shape, or form a retelling. It is wholly original. But it has that classic feel of a tale to it. Looking at fairy tales and mythology, they are always warnings and cautionary tales. We see them now as whimsical, but they were tools to teach children how to stay on the right path and obey their elders. ADDIE LARUE starts off much the same, as she throws caution to the wind and prays to gods she knows little about, bargaining away her soul for the gift of immortality... It also takes inspiration and lays down roots based on the German tales of a man named Johann Georg Faust, which was turned into several different works of art, and made popular in THE TRAGICAL HISTORY OF DOCTOR FAUSTUS by Christopher Marlowe, so it could perhaps be a retelling

So because it has that feel, I thought I would mix together A Twist in the Tail and You're Gonna LOVE Me into one post today. I haven't done a YGLM in a while, and only break this out a couple times a year, so for newer feaders, it's a post where I can give a brief glimpse at amazing books that you can't get your hands on for a little while yet, but hopefully will help get you excited for the release!

Here is a teaser from when Addie first hears about the gods and the way she may get in touch with one should they choose to listen:

Page 29, US e-ARC edition


Addie tries so hard to remember this rule, to obey. She gives them so many precious gifts over the years, and they never listen until she is at her most desperate and leaves herself vulnerable to the wrong god....

Classic cautionary tale, right? The novel begins in the late 1600s and opens in modern times, weaving back and forth and telling a new tale still full of lore and whimsy, still cautioning about the dangerous price of wishes and the consequences we could never foresee coming should those wishes be answered...

Here is another passage from Addie that I particularly liked, and think you will as well:

Page 40, US e-ARC edition


If you want more teasers and quotes I'm loving from THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE, follow me on Goodreads. I'm uploading quotes as I read right here, and I'm about 75% through the book now, so there are some really great ones I just want to hold close to my chest and never let go. One reason I adore Schwab's books is because of her writing, and her gorgeous sentences pepper this book and add to its charm in so many ways!

Here's a summary to tide you over until this one releases!


~*~

O F F I C I A   I N F O:


Title: THE INVISIBLE LIFE OF ADDIE LARUE
Author: Sandhya Menon
Release Date: October 6, 2020
Publisher: Tor Books
Received: For Review
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50623864-the-invisible-life-of-addie-larue


SUMMARY:


A Life No One Will Remember. A Story You Will Never Forget.

France, 1714: in a moment of desperation, a young woman makes a Faustian bargain to live forever and is cursed to be forgotten by everyone she meets.

Thus begins the extraordinary life of Addie LaRue, and a dazzling adventure that will play out across centuries and continents, across history and art, as a young woman learns how far she will go to leave her mark on the world.

But everything changes when, after nearly 300 years, Addie stumbles across a young man in a hidden bookstore and he remembers her name. 



Will you be reading this when it comes out!?

Comments