Top 20 Books Coming Out this Summer!

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!

This week's topic:
Top 20 Books Coming Out this Summer!


I slightly modified this week's topic. I always love looking at the books that will come out in a season and mentioning them so we have them on our radar to buy or borrow from the library upon release!

This list will ONLY feature books published from June 23rd to September 15th. 
(Because the next week, September 22nd, will be a fall haul, and this next week, we're still in spring. But, wow, can you believe summer officially starts next week!?)

And as always, I can't choose just ten.

And seriously, to make me choose ten? That's cruel. There are AT LEAST twenty books that I need to own the minute they're published. AT LEAST. I stopped at twenty, though!

In order of release...



1) THE EMPIRE OF GOLD
Out June 30, 2020



I mean, if you aren't already reading the Daevabad Trilogy, what's wrong with you? Lately, everyone has been saying, "I don't read adult fantasy because there aren't any books by female authors." Which, okay, is wrong, and I am planning a post on that topic this summer. But also, hi, let me introduce to Daevabad! This is the final book in the trilogy, and new readers won't have to wait between books like everyone else! 

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32718027-the-city-of-brass

2) GIRL, SERPENT, THORN by Melissa Bashardoust
Out July 7, 2020





This book was originally scheduled to release earlier, but pushed back due to the pandemic. Luckily, it was in a subscription box, and I just received a gorgeous copy in the mail! I've been excited for this one. I really enjoyed GIRLS MADE OF SNOW AND GLASS, which was also a fairy tale inspired novel, and am excited for another original tale -- this time inspired by Persian mythology and folklore! This one centers around a girl poisonous to the touch! 


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36292242-girl-serpent-thorn


3) UNRAVEL THE DUSK by Elizabeth Lim
Out: July 7, 2020




SPIN THE DAWN was one of my most-anticipated 2019 debuts -- and I was devastated I never had time to slip it in! At this point, I'm waiting to binge the two together. Gorgeous covers and "Project Runway meets Mulan?" Sign me up! I hope it finally happens this summer for me!

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36683940-unravel-the-dusk


4) CINDERELLA IS DEAD by Kalynn Bayron
Out July 7, 2020


This is such a cool twist on Cinderella! It takes place 200 years later and shows the way the Kingdom has transformed the way matches are made based on Cinderella's success. It's detrimental towards girls and what they wish, and it's time for them to change society's rules for the better!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43900612-cinderella-is-dead


5) TODAY, TONIGHT, TOMORROW by Rachel Lynn Solomon
Out July 7, 2020


A YA hate-to-love set on the last day of school that EVERYONE who has read it is already buzzing about online? GIMME!!!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52766407-today-tonight-tomorrow

6) THE EXTRAORDINARIES by T.J. Klune
Out July 14, 2020



I just saw the UK cover yesterday (the one on the right) and I love that it shows off the superhero nature of this novel! But I also like that the US edition. This book would have appealed to me anyway because of the superhero factor and the fanfiction writer factor (A boy who isn't super but writes fanfics about the supers? So much fun!), but it REALLY appeals to me after falling in love with T.J. Klune's adult fantasy (with YA crossover appeal) THE HOUSE IN THE CERULEAN SEA  earlier this year. Now I need more books by this author!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52380340-the-extraordinaries

7) TEN THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY by Sandhya Menon
Out July 21, 2020


I really enjoyed  all of Sandhya Menon's previously published novels, from her debut WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI to her latest novel OF CURSES AND KISSES. My favorite of all her novels so far is THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT SWEETIE. I'm so excited to meet Pinky this summer when 10 THINGS I HATE ABOUT PINKY releases!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/46216773-10-things-i-hate-about-pinky

8) EVER CURSED by Corey Ann Haydu
Out July 28, 2020



A princess who has to work together with an evil witch to save her sister from a curse? Tell me more! Also, let me at that beautiful cover, please!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52767394-ever-cursed

9) IGNITING DARKNESS by Robin LaFevers
Out August 4, 2020


*grabby hands* If you loved Robin LaFevers' His Fair Assassin trilogy that began with GRAVE MERCY, did you know that she wrote a sequel duology? COURTING DARKNESS is already out, and when it ENDED, gahhhhhhhh. I need to get IGNITING DARKNESS in my hands right now!!!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30622326-igniting-darkness

10) BOOKISH AND THE BEAST by Ashley Poston
Out Aug. 4, 2020


You can read this as a stand-alone, but it's in the same world as the fantastic novels GEEKERELLA and THE PRINCESS AND THE FANGIRL. It is still geekish and fun (Hollywood actors and sci-fi super fans and cosplaying at cons, oh my!), and this time centered around Beauty and the Beast. Plus it's a book about books. The pandemic pushed this one back as well or it would already be in my greedy paws!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45167534-bookish-and-the-beast



11) PAOLA SANTIAGO AND THE RIVER OF TEARS by Tehlor Kay Mejia
Out August 4, 2020




I have loved everything so far in the Rick Riordan Presents line and adore how he has raised up OwnVoices Authors to tell their myths and lore. Paola Santiago begins an adventure based around the Mexican ghost story featuring The Legend of La Llarona! I was lucky enough to meet Tehlor Kay Mejia at a Epic Reads Pride Tour Stop last year and am excited to read another book of hers!
 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49089021-paola-santiago-and-the-river-of-tears

12) STAR DAUGHTER by Shveta Thakrar
Out August 11, 2020




Lush fantasy, Hindu mythology, and a GORGEOUS cover? Check, check, CHECK!!! I met Shveta Thakrar at an event we both attended last year and I was already very excited about her book because the cover had just been revealed! I'd hoped to meet her at a launch event this year, but the pandemic makes it impossible. I'm still very excited to read it, however!



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52781202-star-daughter


13) WHERE DREAMS DESCEND by Janella Angeles
Out: August 25, 2020




When I first heard about this book -- Moulin Rouge meets Phantom of the Opera meets THE NIGHT CIRCUS, I was all in. (I'd also add in a comp to THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas, but only the first book of the same name.) I was also scared I wouldn't love the book because it was so hyped in my head. But it was thankfully one of my favorite books so far this year! I was lucky enough to sit down with Janella Angeles earlier this year to chat about the book, and will run an interview come August, so make sure to stop back then!

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40144224-where-dreams-descend


14) KIND OF A BIG DEAL by Shannon Hale
Out August 25, 2020


What book worm DOESN'T imagine falling into a book they're reading for real? We're all going to be so jealous, but can at least live vicariously! Plus, there is a theme of musicals, and YES, PLEASE. And also, it's Shannon Hale's return to YA, and I love Shannon Hale so much. I can't believe I never even heard of this book until next month, because now I NEED it!!!
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50884610-kind-of-a-big-deal


15) THE SHADOW CROSSER by J.C. Cervantes
Out September 1, 2020


I have enjoyed so many books in the Rick Riordan Presents line, but one of my FAVORITES is The Storm Runner trilogy. I'm so sad it's coming to an end already! But I loved how it kept the spirit of the original books and how the main character's disability is actually based on a powerful heritage. I am ready to return to this world of Mayan Mythology and see how everything comes together!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/49293602-the-shadow-crosser

16) FABLE by Adrienne Young
Out September 1, 2020



I loved Adrienne Young's debut SKY IN THE DEEP (though I still have to read my copy of THE GIRL THE SEA GAVE BACK). I've been so excited for her new duology that begins with FABLE. The book takes place on the high seas, so you know there will be pirates! And I mean, how striking is this cover!?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/44012880-fable

17) RECOMMENDED FOR YOU by Laura Silverman
Out Sept. 10th, 2019


How cute does this hate-to-love look? Plus, a book about books? And a book with two teens competing for a bookseller prize!? GIMME, GIMME.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50800287-recommended-for-you

18) THE TRAITOR QUEEN by Danielle L. Jensen
Out September 1, 2020





This is the sequel to THE BRIDGE KINGDOM, which everyone has been buzzing about as being an AMAZING adult fantasy with a great hate-to-love romance. Everyone has been so hyped for the sequel. I held off on reading my copy of BRIDGE when I heard how desperate readers were to get their hands on the sequel, and look forward to binging the duology together in September!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51887283-the-traitor-queen

18) SOULSWIFT by Megan Bannen
Out September 7, 2020





This fanasy has been comped to two I love: THE WINNER'S CURSE and THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS. That already sold me. Megan Bannen also read THE BIRD AND THE BLADE, which I very much enjoyed. And this cover is GORGEOUS!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52460181-soulswift

19) LEGENDBORN by Tracy Deonn
Out September 15, 2020


What a STUNNING cover -- and look at that O! This is a contemporary fantasy full of mystery, demons, secret societies, and unique magic systems. I am IN!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/50892338-legendborn

20) PIRANESI by Susanna Clarke
Out September 15, 2020


Susanna Clarke has written another book. Stop. Let that sink in. Savor the moment. The author of JONATHAN STRANGE & MR. NORRELL returns to us with PIRANESI. Did I care what her next book would be about? I mean, not really. I wanted it knowing nothing about it. But the summary sounds so good, and it has been comped to Neil Gaiman, Madeline Miller, and Diana Wynne Jones, so there is that, too! This is one of my Top Wants of the entire 2020 year and I cannot wait to savor this.


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52123228-piranesi

What books are you excited to read during the second half of 2019???
 ^_^


Comments