Top 15 Books On My Spring TBR

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!

This week's topic:
Top 15 Books On My Spring TBR!


Hi bookworms!

So, this was LAST week's topic, but it wasn't quite spring yet, so it felt weird posting it early and I switched it to today. And man, how the world has changed in just the last week. Reading and supporting our indie bookstores and our B&Ns over Amazon is now more important than ever!

ANYWAY!

The "What's On Your Seasonal TBR Pile" Topic is always one of my favorites that I look forward to every quarter -- and one of the ones that I always struggle to wrangle down to ten books!

Today, I made a rule for myself: "It CANNOT be a sequel!" That way I can chatter without spoilers. Because of course, we're all waiting for sequels! 

I also only picked books coming out between March 20th and June 21st, because after that, they're summer reads, lol!

I can't wait to see what's on everyone else's TBR this spring!

In Order of Release Date...



1) EMPIRE OF DREAMS by Rae Carson
Out April 7, 2020




This is TECHNICALLY not a sequel. It takes place about a decade after Rae Carson's The Girl of Fire and Thorns trilogy -- which is one of my favorite YA trilogies!

I am so excited that this book exists and that we'll be returning to the world with new characters. I really like this trend lately, and have enjoyed when authors such as Mary E. Pearson (DANCE OF THIEVES), Alexandra Bracken (THE DARKEST LEGACY), Robin LaFevers (COURTING DARKNESS), and more have jumped forward in time and brought us new stories in familiar worlds. When I heard that Rae Carson was coming out with one, too, my heart started to sing!


 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43447731-the-empire-of-dreams

2) HOW MUCH OF THESE HILLS IS GOLD by C. Pam Zhang
Out April 7, 2020




DEBUT! This is Penguin's lead title this spring. The ARC has gold gilded edges and a gorgeous cover.  It takes place during the Gold Rush.  This was one of my favorite discoveries of the ALA MidWinter Conference in January, and I can't wait  to see a finished copy!



https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/45895362-how-much-of-these-hills-is-gold


3) ELYSIUM GIRLS by Kate Pentecost
Out April 14, 2020




This cover is FIRE! It was the very first thing to catch my eye about this book. At first, I thought it was going to be a Horsemen of the Apocalypse fantasy, and I would have been okay with that, too. But it is actually Dust Bowl-inspired, and it sounds completely kick-ass and amazing and full of high stakes and can I have it now?





4) RACE THE SANDS by Sarah Beth Durst
Out April 21, 2020




A new book from Sarah Beth Durst!!! A STAND-ALONE! Another adult fantasy! All these things are making me weak in the knees.

Sarah Beth Durst is one of those authors I've adored for years, and her books get all kinds of acclaim and love from her fans, but you never hear anyone talking about them. She's quieter, relatively undiscovered. If you love fantasy, you should be reading her!

(Even if this isn't my favorite cover of hers, I'm still so excited for its release!)




 


5) THE GIRL AND THE STARS by Mark Lawrence
Out April 21, 2020






I have wanted to read Mark Lawrence for a long time. Every time he publishes a new series, I say, "This will be the one."

And so again, I'm saying, "This will be the one." Because it sounds AMAZING, and like a world I can really sink my teeth into!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51277288-the-girl-and-the-stars

6) INCENDIARY by Zoraida Córdova
Out April 28, 2020


I have loved Zoraida Córdova for a long time, and her books always capture me right away. INCENDIARY sounds like it will be my favorite yet from Zoraida, AND it's the start of a new series! Plus, royal courts and dangerous spy missions? I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/47540532-incendiary

7) THE MERMAID, THE WITCH, AND THE SEA by Maggie Tokuda-Hall
Out May 5, 2020






Girls disguised as boys, pirates, and mermaids wanted for their coveted blood? This sounds like it is going to be an excellent high seas adventure!






https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51710973-the-mermaid-the-witch-and-the-sea

8) FORGED IN FIRE AND STARS by Andrea Robertson
Out May 5, 2020




I've never read Andrea Cremer before, though I've heard great things, but this series sounds like one right up my alley! For fans of Leigh Bardugo and Sabaa Tahir? Gimme, gimme!



9) HOUSE OF DRAGONS by Jessica Cluess
Out May 12, 2020





I very much enjoyed A SHADOW BRIGHT AND BURNING, and was eager to hear that Jessica Cluess had a new series on the way. Plus, this blurb gets me! "Five royal houses will hear the call to compete in the Trial for the dragon throne. A liar, a soldier, a servant, a thief, and a murderer will answer it. Who will win?"





10) GIRL, SERPENT, THORN by Melissa Bashardoust
Out May 12, 2020





Fairy tales are ALWAYS my thing. I really loved Melissa Bashardoust's debut GIRLS MADE OF SNOW AND GLASS and am ready to read another book from her. This "captivating and utterly original fairy tale" is about a girl who is poison to the touch, and I'M ALL IN! 

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36292242-girl-serpent-thorn


11) WHERE DREAMS DESCEND by Janella Angeles
Out June 2, 2020




I've already read this lush beauty, and it was decadent and everything I wanted it to be. I can't wait to pick up the sequel next year and read more from this talented debut author. This has been called "Moulin Rouge meets Phantom of the Opera with a dash of THE NIGHT CIRCUS." I would throw in that it was also reminiscent of the challenges and competitors in the first THRONE OF GLASS novel. So, so good. Make sure you pick this one up!

 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40144224-where-dreams-descend#

12) MY CALAMITY JANE by Cynthia Hand, Brodi Ashton, and Jodi Meadows 
Out June 2, 2020



When the deal broke for these Janie books, they all sounded intriguing, but MY CALAMITY JANE was the one I wanted THE MOST. And it felt OH SO FAR AWAY. But it will be out this spring! I am diving into this one the second I can get my hands on it!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31284532-my-calamity-jane


13) COURT OF MIRACLES by Kester Grant
Out June 2, 2020




Les Mis meets SIX OF CROWS? Yessssssss. I'm already in. TBH, I don't even need to know more ^.~ 
(But if you do, well, just look at the first line of the summary: "a young thief finds herself going head to head with leaders of Paris's criminal underground in the wake of the French Revolution.")





14) SONGS OF WRAITHS AND RUIN by Roseanne A. Brown
Out June 2, 2020




This one is for fans of Tomi Adeyemi, has a gorgeous cover, and the summary sounds like just the sort of fantasy I like to sink into! A grieving princess and a desperate refugee who want to murder one another, only to fall for one another and throw a wrench in that plan? Yesss!


 


15) A SONG BELOW WATER by Bethany C. Morrow
Out June 2, 2020




First, this cover. How gorgeous is this amazing cover!? This is contemporary, and about a siren forced to keep her secret to live in the world, "but everything changes in the aftermath of a siren murder trial that rocks the nation." There are so many facets and commentary ready to be explored in this one, and I'm so deserate to sink into it!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39085465-a-song-below-water


What books are at the top of your Spring 2020 TBR?
 ^_^


Comments