13 Favorite Tropes -- And Favorite Recommendations for Each!



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018.
It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!

This week's topic:
TOP TEN FAVORITE TROPES!

Originally, I didn't think I'd come  up with ten easily. By the end, I was at thirteen! *shrug*

I decided to add a few recommendations for each trope as well. I'm positive I've left off some of your favorites -- and some of mine as well! I tried to only have four per category. I basically picked whatever came to mind first. Maybe it was a favorite book, maybe it was read recently. I know I couldn't include a lot of amazing books!

If you love the trope as much as I do, I tried to link to my reviews whenever possible! A few were never reviewed or I couldn't find them. A few are even in progress and coming soon because they're new releases!

I would LOVE IT if you commented with titles you love featuring these tropes I love, because I seriously can't get enough!

In no particular order...




1) GIRL DISGUISED AS A BOY



Okay, I totally blame Tamora Pierce and Alanna for this one! Also Disney's Mulan, actually!

Recommendations:

The Song of the Lioness Quartet by Tamora Pierce, THE BURNING SKY by Sherry Thomas, A Dance of Dragons series by Kaitlyn Davis, EON by Alison Goodman

2) HATE TO LOVE

Best kind of chemistry/burn, am I right!?

RECOMMENDATIONS:

WELL MET by Jen DeLuca, THE UNHONEYMOONERS by Christina Lauren, MAYBE THIS TIME by Kasie West, The Witchland series by Susan Dennard

3) ACTOR / SINGER SITUATIONS

I have a soft spot if the main characters are actors or singers...or an outsider finding themselves on the set!

RECOMMENDATIONS:

FAMOUS IN LOVE by Rebecca Serle, OPEN ROAD SUMMER by Emery Lord, NOT IN THE SCRIPT by Amy Finnegan, BEHIND THE SCENES by Dahlia Adler 


4) BOOKS ABOUT...BOOKS!

Books that revolve around a bookstore or a library. Books about readers. Books about authors. Books set at a publishing house. Etc!

RECOMMENDATIONS:

SORCERY OF THORNS by Margaret Rogerson, THE STARLESS SEA by Erin Morgenstern, MR. PENUMBRA'S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE by Robin Sloan, THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafón

5) CIRCUSES

I blame THE NIGHT CIRCUS for this one. 
....Also my love of all things Cirque du Soleil.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

THE NIGHT CIRCUS by Erin Mogernstern, THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS by Anna-Marie McLemore, THAT TIME I JOINED THE CIRCUS by J.J. Howard, THE LIFE SHE WAS GIVEN by Ellen Marie Wiseman,

6) BROADWAY/MUSICAL THEMED BOOKS


It stars Broadway actors. Or characters trying out for/rehearsing a school show/summerstock/etc. You get the drift!

RECOMMENDATIONS:

ROOMIES by Christina Lauren, BETTER NATE THAN EVER by Tim Federle, DRAMATICALLY EVER AFTER by Isabel Bandeira 

7) LOVE INTEREST IS BROTHER'S BEST FRIEND OR GUY NEXT DOOR

I don't know why. I just do!

RECOMMENDATIONS:

HUNTING LILA by Sarah Alderson, ON THE FENCE by Kasie West, BE WITH ME by Jennifer L. Armentrout 

8) SUCKED INTO A VIDEO GAME


I have read some really bad books in this genre. But then I read WARCROSS by Marie Lu, and now I'm chasing after another strike of lightning!

RECOMMENDATIONS:

WARCROSS by Marie Lu, SLAY by Brittney Morris, The Camelot Code series by Mari Mancusi

9) SUPERHEROES


I didn't think I'd love reading about superheroes because it's such a visual medium, but I've read some great ones and it has completely changed my mind!

RECOMMENDATIONS:

DREADNOUGHT by April Daniels, RENEGADES by Marissa Meyer, VICIOUS by V.E. Schwab, HEROINE COMPLEX by Sarah Kuhn

10) LOVE INTEREST IS THE GUARD


I read too much fantasy, lol. I love when a princess defies her parents and their wishes for her to marry a prince she's never met and swoons over her guard instead...perhaps because it's forbidden and changes the relationship dynamics? Who knows?

RECOMMENDATIONS:

CITY OF VEILS by S. Usher Evans, The Girl of Fire and Thorns series by Rae Carson, A Dance of Dragons series by Kaitlyn Davis 

11) HEIR MUST RECLAIM THRONE


A prince/prince is the sole survivor of the family line and must become strong and bring down those who stole the throne and reclaim a birthright.


RECOMMENDATIONS:

THE ORPHAN QUEEN by Jodi Meadows, The Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer, THE PLEDGE by Kimberly Derting, RUINED by Amy Tintera 

12) THE MC IS A THIEF/ASSASSIN


I've read so many good books with this trope that it has become a favorite -- even though outwardly, with my hatred of blood and gore, you wouldn't think so! I guess it's more YA assassins, lol.

RECOMMENDATIONS:


Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas, His Fair Assassin series by Robin LaFevers, Dance of Thieves duology by Mary E. Pearson, The Night Angel series by Brent Weeks 

13) BOOKS SET IN JAPAN
(Or neighboring countries)


Having lived in Japan for two years, the country will always hold a piece of my heart.  Books set in the country I love or neighboring ones I've visited on holiday give me so much nostalgia! 


RECOMMENDATIONS:


SHADOWS ON THE MOON by Zoë Marriott, WARCROSS by Marie Lu, WHEN YOU WERE HERE by Daisy Whitney (now writing as Lauren Blakely), SHADOW OF THE FOX by Julie Kagawa


What are some "crazy" things you've done for the love of reading???
 ^_^
 

Comments