Reviewing Various Lunar New Year Picture Books and Incorporating Them into the Classroom




Hi bookworms!

Today, I'm launching a new video series. Last year, I began incorporating a lot of picture books into my life on a weekly basis. I'm always Googling for picture books that work with the lesson plans I'm working on, and have had some great ones -- and also some that haven't gone over so well.

I thought it might be fun to begin a new video series to help teachers out there find materials they can use in the classroom in one spot without going to a million different websites -- and the videos are also great if you have kids or work at a library or anywhere else where you are constantly doing Storytime or incorporating picture books into a learning environment.

Today is the last day of the Chinese New Year and the day of the Lantern Festival. I wanted to get this video up last week, but kept forgetting to take pictures (and still haven't!) of some of the projects we've made this month. I also wanted to include two books I couldn't get my hands on in time, so I posted pictures instead, rather than a review. So I apologize that this is late, but hope it will be useful in years to come!

Today, I'm showing off a few props that work well with students learning about the Lunar New Year and talk about a few picture books -- and even a manga series for older teens!

If you're browsing for ideas on your lunch break and can't watch a video until later, you're about to hear all about...

*The Fruits Basket manga (graphic novel) series by Netsuke Takaya
*MULAN'S LUNAR NEW YEAR by Natasha Yim
*PEPPA PIG'S CHINESE NEW YEAR from Scholastic Books
*THE ROOSTER'S ANTLERS by Eric A. Kimmel
*THE RUNAWAY RICE CAKE by Ying Chang Composting
*BRINGING IN THE NEW YEAR by Grace Lin
*LION DANCER: ERNIE WAN'S CHINESE NEW YEAR by Kate Waters
*A NEW YEAR'S REUNION by Yu Li-Qiong

Let me know what you think of the new series, and I hope you and the kids in your life enjoy all of the great reading ahead of you!




Comments