My Top 10 Favorite Songs (+ music videos) with fairy tale-inspired lyrics!





Welcome to Magic, Myth, & Mischief in celebration 
of fairy tales, mythology, and fantastic beasts of lore such as dragons, fae, mermaids, and unicorns!
Join our celebration daily at A Backwards Story and That Artsy Reader Girl!
Check out our daily schedule of events at ABS and TARG!
Stop back all week long for fun author interviews, exciting giveaways, reviews,
and more!


Who doesn't love music?  I have songs in many languages and many genres on my iPod.  I can't settle on any one thing!  I'm always intrigued when I hear fairy tales mentioned in songs and want to know more.  I'm not talking about Disney characters breaking into song, either. Sometimes, I'll perk up when I hear the word in a song on the radio and suddenly start paying attention. Usually, the song doesn't have anything to do with fairy tales, though!

Here are a few songs I really love that have a promise of fairy tale in their title:

1) "A Sorta Fairytale," Tori Amos

I discovered this song in high school.  I was taking part in an online writing challenge called a Lyric Wheel, where we submitted songs and someone else had to write a story based on the song they were given, then "gift" the other person with the story.  I forget now if I was given the song to write for or if my friend who was also doing the Wheel was given the song, but either way, that's how I discovered it!

And, okay, the song doesn't have as much to do with fairy tales as other songs do, but it's a song I still love! ^_^ [Be warned that the music video is REALLY WEIRD, though! O.o)



2) "Cinderella," Steven Curtis Chapman

This song is incredibly poignant!  I love this version of the video because Steven Curtis Chapman talks about his inspiration for the song.  I love that it compares three important stages of a girl's life to a fairy tale (And three balls...three midnights...ahhh!) and showcases the special relationship between a father and daughter.  This song is also great for a Father/Daughter dance (Especially at a wedding!).

I'm pretty sure I've shared this one before, but here it is again!



3) "Ever, Ever, After," Carrie Underwood

Disney's Enchanted introduced me to this song. I will seriously let the end credits roll every time just to hear this song again. I am also OBSESSED with the music video for this song. If you've seen Enchanted, you know how it begins in an animated world before coming to our reality. Carrie Underwood starts off singing in Andalasia before coming to our world, spreading magic, and finding her own happily ever after. It's such a perfect music video!


4) "A Dustland Fairytale," The Killers

I adore The Killers.  "A Dustland Fairytale" is one of my favorite songs on the album Day and Age.  There is so much meaning in this song.  I like the way the music video tells an entire story.  I also appreciate the way lead singer Brandon Flowers wrote the song when his mother was going through cancer treatment, giving the song a darker meaning when he sings,

Now Cinderella don't you go to sleep 
It's such a bitter form of refuge
Why don't you know the kingdom's under siege
And everybody needs you...

This song shows the underbelly of a fairy tale, the way Happily Ever After can be truth, but it can also be a lie.  It isn't always happy. I don't know, I just love it!




5) "Fairytale," Sara Bareilles

Sara Bareilles always creates fantastic music, and I love the feminist slant she brings to fairy tales in this song. I mean, when you think about it, a lot of the classic fairy tale characters bettered their situation, but maybe it wasn't the best possible outcome. And was it really love, or a chance to get a way? Were they really happy? I just really like the way this song makes you think! The video is also a lot of fun to watch!



6) "Mad Hatter," Melanie Martinez

Melanie Martinez has such a creative spin on everything she does I've enjoyed her unique voice since discovering her on The Voice. I'm really happy she's found a niche market for herself! Some of her songs are odd, including "Mad Hatter," but they're also telling a story. I love that her first CD tells one story when you listen to it all together. She's such a talented soul!

I really like all the nods to Alice in Wonderland in this song--though, warning, the video can be a little disturbing!

YouTube Link

7) "I'm The Villain," Rachel Bloom (Crazy Ex Girlfriend)

I debated posting this video here because I'm planning to do another post later on this month with it. So maybe I will, maybe I won't. It definitely belongs here, though!

You can watch this video even if you don't watch the show (But you should; it's on Netflix!). I'm a fan of musicals, and this is a TV show full of musical numbers--some are even parodies! One of my favorite songs from the show, which I use to introduce new people to it, is "I'm The Villain" because it's SUCH a great fairy tale song and the production quality is gorgeous!



YouTube Link

8) "Driftwood," Cursive

The music for this one is so unique. Not something I would have discovered on my own if people weren't talking about the song that utilized Pinocchio to great success with the unique beat. It's really quirky and has really grown on me!

There's no music video for this one since it's not a well-known song, but you can hear it here:






9) "Brick by Boring Brick" Paramore

Okay, this actually isn't my favorite song in the world. I actually really prefer the version covered by Eriel Ronquillo, which you can find on YouTube here. It's re-styled in a way I prefer listening to, personally.

But I really love the production quality of the music video and think it's great to watch!


YouTube Link


And Why not, here's Eriel Ronquillo's awesome cover:


YouTube Link

10) "Wide Awake," Katy Perry

Okay, this song doesn't actually reference a fairy tale. But every time I think of fairy tale-inspired songs, this one springs to mind because the music video very much takes place in a fairy tale-inspired world! Have you watched this gorgeously produced video yet? And the lyrics COULD apply to a fairy tale, so, y'know....

YouTube Link

What are your favorite songs that incorporate fairy tales, even in small ways?  
I would love to add more to my list of Songs to Love! 

Comments