Book Loot (2)

I've been trying to do this post for almost a month now. Oh well,better late than never, right? Here's all of my fun new loot since the November 9th post.
(Do you recognize any of these titles from previous O n e s t o W a t c h posts? ^_^)

What are my fellow bookworks reading right now? Did you get anything awesome for the holidays?


C h r i s t m a s P r e s e n t s :



Look, folks, actual "adult" books, not just YA! Yay me :)

*Patti LuPone: A Memoir by Patti LuPone (with Digby Diehl): I love Patti LuPone. I've seen her on Broadway a few times and even met her in person at the Stage Door. Lovely woman, phenomenal performer. I'm so eager to read about her life!

*The Shadow Wife by Diane Chamberlain: If you haven't read any of her novels before and like realistic fiction by authors such as Jodi Picoult, you should, especially since she's been called "The Southern Jodi Picoult."

*The Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle: Kittle's first novel in four years. I discovered her a few years ago on Jodi Picoult's forums when looking for similar authors I might enjoy. Her previous novel, The Kindness of Strangers, was especially amazing, so I'm excited to read her latest offering!
*Pegasus by Robin McKinley: Being a fairytale nut, McKinley has always been one of my favorite authors (it's why I was so shocked earlier this year when I wound up loving Juliet Marillier's Heart's Blood more than McKinley's beloved Beauty, which I've adored for years). I've also always loved horses; when I was little, My Little Pony and Rainbow Brite (with Starlight the horse!) were my favorite shows, and I especially loved anything with wings or horns. McKinley has a new take on the pegasus--AND it's going to be two books. YES PLEASE!!

*The Uglies/The Specials, both by Scott Westerfeld: I figured that if I could get books 2, 4, and the guide from library sales, it was time to throw some real money at the author and complete my collection. I really need to re-read this series in 2011 now that I'm on my Dystopian kick.


p u r c h a s e d b o o k s :



*Matched by Alliy Condie: (I told you I've been trying to get this post up forever! I bought this book the day it came out on Nov. 30. Check out the pic of the ARC/Galley edition of this book below!) I reviewed this book recently and it's absolutely one of my favorite reads of 2010. Pick this up. Now!

*Pathfinder by Orson Scott Card: Sci-Fi has never been my first choice of genre, but I really embraced the Ender books when I was younger. I also proudly display Card's fantasy novel Enchantment with all the other fairytale retellings on my bookcase. Not only is this a new fantasy novel, it's for teens and sounds awesome!

*Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte: It's Jane Eyre. Period, the end. Um, and I did I mention that the new cover is beyond GORGEOUS? I can stare at it for hours. The paper used for the cover is delicate--I'm afraid I'll damage it! There's a front and back flap with more lovely art, as well as a full-color back cover. Lovely, just lovely. Penguin, I'm obsessed with your publication (as well as cover artist/designer Ruben Toledo)!

*Selkie Girl by Laurie Brooks: I'm not sure quite what to expect, but the word "Selkie" is in the cover. It will surely find a home on the shelf with all my mermaid/sea books.

*Harvest Moon: Three All-New Tales of Moonlit Fantasy by Mercedes Lackey, Michelle Sagara, and Cameron Halley: Okay, so I don't normally pick up books with short stories by multiple authors. I picked up this one, however, because I love the Tales of the Five Hundred Kingdoms series by Lackey and this book tells the tale of Persephone (one of my favorite Greek myths, no less). I'm sort of sad the book doesn't come in hardcover since it won't quite match the rest of the series, but I suppose it's all right since it's right next to her other fairytale series, The Elemental Masters, which is in paperback.

a r c / g a l l e y b o o k s :



*Museum of Thieves by Lian Tanner: Out now (old ARC). Middle-grade Dystopian. Sounds fresh and exciting!

*Still Alice/Left Neglected, both by Lisa Genova: Still Alice has been out for a while, but Left Neglected is coming out on January 5th. I've been wanting to read Genova for a while because I've heard nothing but awesome things about her novels. She works in the field in which she writes, so she'll know her stuff. Plus, both books sound AMAZING. Definitely hard-hitting, but I like "realistic" fiction when I read "adult" stuff. ^^

*The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern: January 25th Release. (I still don't understand why some books come out in both tradecloth and paperback on the same day, but hey, whatever works...) I never read Ahern's bestselling novel P.S. I Love You , but the summary for this is intriguing. It's about a girl who finds a diary that she has written...in the future.

*Matched by Ally Condie: I've already talked about this title ad nauseam, no? Including mentioning above, along with linking to my recent review. Sometimes, ARCs look like this before they have finalized cover art. Pretty neat, huh?

*Delirium by Lauren Oliver: February 1st Release. This is going to be the next book you get sick of hearing me talk about. I've been wanting to read both this and Matched since I heard about them over the summer. I blew through this ARC so fast, too. I can't wait to give you guys my review in February! It's even BETTER than Matched, and you all know that I think Condie did a pretty darn good job! There was an interesting article in Publishers Weekly about the cover treatment for this trilogy (in fact the cover seen here on the ARC is not the final one; they re-did everything), as well as how she ran a contest on her blog to come up with book titles for books two and three.


*Across the Universe by Beth Revis: January 11th Release. This gets to be one of the first books I'll review for you in the new year. I'm not a huge sci-fi person, but this novel really grabbed my attention and was hard to put down. I also LOVE the reversible cover idea and can't wait to see it in person!

*The Lost Gate by Orson Scott Card: Another fantasy in lieu of sci-fi from Card. Yay, lucky me! The enclosed publisher letter states that the book was 33 years in the making, so I'm excited to see what we wound up with!

l i b r a r y f i n d s :
Um, I still have a couple of the books out from last month's post, though I've read/returned most of those titles by now. The only new title I've checked out is:



*Hero by Mike Lupica: I've never read Lupica before because I'm not big on sports, but this sounds like something new for him. It's about superheroes, stories easier found in graphic novels than printed books. This sounds really fresh, so I'm excited to see what it's all about.




Well, that's all for me until the new year. I definitely pre-ordered a bunch of books to ship out during the next three months while I still got 40% off, so look forward to more loot posts to come!

Comments