Ten of My Favorite Single-Word Book Titles Are...

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!

This week's topic:
My Top Ten Single-Word Book Titles!


Hi bookworms!

I thought today's topic would be HARD, not realizing just how many beloved books I own with single-word titles, so I actually ran out of spots before I did titles!

In No Particular Order...



1) GRACELING by Kristin Cashore




GRACELING was the book that reintroduced me both to fantasy and YA after being taught "you weren't supposed to like either after high school."

In many ways, this book (and also FIRE and BITTERBLUE) are so special to me...but also, I'm SUPER afraid to re-read them, because what if my tastes have changed!?

Nonetheless, if you want a great fantasy, pick up GRACELING. (And if you don't like Katsa and can't get into her story, try FIRE instead! I've seen people revisit the series with her. Personally, I prefer Katsa to Fire, but we're all different!


 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3236307-graceling

2) HEARTLESS by Marissa Meyer



Honestly? It was hard choosing ONE Marissa Meyer book. She is the queen of single-word titles! How do I choose between CINDER and SCARLET and CRESS and WINTER? How do I choose RENEGADES and not its sequels??


In the end, HEARTLESS is actually my favorite book by her AND it is a stand-alone, so it felt like a clear winner!

If you love villain origin stories or retellings set in Wonderland, you need this book in your life!

Check out my review!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29631300-the-architect-of-song


3) UPROOTED by Naomi Novik




I loved this surprise treasure of a book! I had never read Naomi Novik before, but had friends who loved her. I loved how this felt like a fairy tale despite being wholly original,  and the romance reminded me of Daine and Numair, from one of my favorite series (</>iThe Immortals by Tamora Pierce!)

Check out my review!




4) CARAVAL by Stephanie Garber




CARAVAL took my breath away. It was one of my favorite books the year it came out, and then its sequel, LEGENDARY, kicked it out of the park and became my new favorite in the trilogy! But I also loved the way everything wrapped up in FINALE, and this is just a great trilogy of one word titles!

I've actually heard a lot of people who weren't huge CARAVAL fans come back and fall hard when they read LEGENDARY, so if that's you, give it another chance, because this series is a favorite of mine!

Check out my review!



 


5) INCARNATE by Jodi Meadows




INCARNATE made me fall head over heels for Jodi Meadows as an author. I loved her world, especially as the series bloomed outward, full of sylph and dragons and this crazy world where the same souls keep being reborn -- until one isn't and someone new slips into the mix. I was completely entranced reading this, and though it has been years, I still vividly remember the masquerade scene and Sam playing the piano when I think of INCARNATE!

Check out my review!

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8573642-incarnate

6) WARCROSS by Marie Lu



My #1 favorite book the year it came out! I was up late every night reading this baby! I love all of Marie Lu's books, but this might just be my favorite. I loved that it was futuristic, that it was set in Tokyo, that it was part thriller! I have never read READY PLAYER ONE, and while I still recommend this a lot to those fans, I didn't actually pick it up for that reason myself! But if you love books that have a gaming element, WARCROSS is absolutely one you need to check out!

Check out my review!


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29385546-warcross

7) STARDUST by Neil Gaiman





NGL, this is one where I saw the movie before I read the book. But I loved the movie so much. I was actually afraid to read the book because, you know, what if it tarnished the movie love? Thankfully, I now love both the movie and the book. 

This is one of my favorite Neil Gaiman books, an instant classic, and if you're just begin to read him, this is an excellent starting point!

I once did a review of a poster featuring the ENTIRE text of Stardust that you can hang on your wall here AND interviewed the founder and director of Spineless Publishing!

Here's a peek at what it looks like:





https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16793.Stardust

8) SABRIEL by Garth Nix





I loved this series so much when I was younger, and I was really excited recently when it was re-issued for a new generation AND Garth Nix came out with a sequel! Plus, he came to my town and I got to meet him -- and won an Abhorsen Bell!

I'm actually a little afraid to read it again, because what if I don't like it as much, you know?



9) RUINED by Amy Tintera




This book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it, and I immediately had grabby hands for the sequel! It was a very intense, action-packed finale. I think I've read this one like, three times already!

If you're a fan of books with political intrigue or subterfuge, or if you like YA fantasy that's a little darker and takes a more twisted path to achieve its goals because it's not afraid to get its hands a little messy, then you're going to want to add RUINED to your collection!

Check out my review!




10) CIRCE by Madeline Miller





I haven't read literary fiction in forever. It's like I read so much of it in school that the desire was scrubbed out of me. Honestly, I didn't even realize how intensely I missed it or how much my soul might crave it until I cracked open CIRCE by Madeline Miller. My soul was literally singing with pleasure from the rare treat! I definitely have to do this again sometime! Definitely my #1 favorite read of last year!

Plus, look how PRETTY the UK edition is:




 https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32993458-circe





What are YOUR favorite Single-Word Book Titles?
 ^_^


Comments