TOP TEN THINGS THAT MAKE ME IMMEDIATELY WANT TO READ A BOOK!



Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018.
It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!

This week's topic:
TOP TEN THINGS THAT MAKE ME IMMEDIATELY WANT TO READ A BOOK!

Oh, this topic is fun!!! I can't wait to hear what makes everyone pick up a book! It took some thinking, too!


In no particular order...




1) PRETTY DESIGN



Both inside and out! I know, I know, this surprises NO ONE. I do so many vlogs analyzing cover design and always have a section of my reviews dedicated to design work!

Most of all, I am a sucker for a truly well-designed cover: Good colors, good style, the way it pops. I get really excited if it has a hidden "tattoo" beneath the jacket, decorated endpapers, deckled edges, designed chapter headers, stained pages, etc. I will pick up a book solely because it's gorgeous. Lately, I've been importing a lot of books from the UK because they have secret tattoos and the US edition doesn't, or the cover is prettier, etc. For example, I Just got a package from Book Depository that included UK versions of THE BINDING by Bridget Collins and BEAUTY OF THE WOLF by Wray Delaney, and ENCHANT by Gita Trelease.  

2) IS IT A RETELLING?

Also an obvious answer, right? If a book is a retelling -- especially if it's a fairy tale, but also if it's mythology or a classic -- I am going to pick it up and hope that it's good! I've read some duds, but I've also read some fantastic books this way!

3) WHO BLURBED IT?


I've heard authors ask, Do blurbs matter? Do readers CARE or actually read them? *waves hand madly* Here's one reader who does! If a favorite author has blurbed a book, I will pick it up immediately. Their opinion is enough for me. Or if a book is blurbed as being for fans of a particular author, etc. One reason I'm so excited to dive into my copy of WICKED SAINTS by Emily A. Duncan (Out today!!!) is because so many authors I adore have blurbed it. I have bought many books that have been blurbed by or for "fans of" Tamora Pierce and Jodi Picoult more times than I can count. They're both staples on the blurbing scene and two favorites of mine! Would I have favorites such as Kristin Cashore and Rae Carson if I didn't hear a comp to Pierce first? Maybe not...



4) WHAT KIND OF ROMANCE IS IT? 


I'm probably less likely to pick up a book if it's a love triangle. I just hate the drama. I also will go back and forth if a lot of reviews mention instal-love, unless the book is AMAZING. But there are tropes I really love, too. Frenemies, a sibling's BFF, etc. So it depends!


5) MERMAIDS!

Because I need to read ALL the mermaid books, of course! 

Or let's be real. I'm also picking it up if it's an underwater world or featuring selfies or kraken or something. But I will secretly be wishing for a mermaid or two! ^.~


6) THE AUTHOR

I will blind buy books from favorite authors. Even if I'm not sure I'll love the book. I have trouble when I fall out of love with an author, because I will still buy their latest titles, both hoping that the magic will come back and *shame* wanting a complete collection. I'm more hesitant to buy authors I haven't read before without reading samples or a lot of good reviews unless it's a really good deal (Book Outlet, e-book sale, library, etc.) But there are absolutely authors I auto-buy, no questions asked!

7) SEEING IT EVERYWHERE / A LOT OF RECOMMENDATIONS FROM PEOPLE I TRUST


If I start seeing a book all over Instagram, or hearing a lot of chatter about it on Twitter, it instantly is on my radar. There are a few reviewers with taste very similar to mine. If they really loved a book, chances are I will, too. So if it was a book I was hesitant on picking up, I'm more likely to just go ahead and do it if someone trusted starts gushing about it!



8) SIGNED COPIES

I love that Barnes and Noble has so many signed editions of books. I'm more likely to pick up a book instantly and not wait for a good deal if it's signed! Or order too many book subscription boxes for a signed copy, lol! I don't like bookplates, however, because they mar the book and what if I meet the author one day!? But I don't mind tip-in pages at all, especially if there is design work that adds to the page!

There is one author, Brent Weeks, whose book THE BLACK PRISM I bought on the bargain rack because two co-workers were obsessed. Then I heard the cliffhangers were dangerous. But it was only a trilogy, and BN had SIGNED COPIES of the new book, so I just bought it, not having read the first. Then it extended to four books and I -- again -- pre-ordered the BN signed edition. Now it's five books (And that's really truly the final book!) and the finale is coming out this fall and I just -- you guessed it -- pre-ordered the BN signed edition. Even though I've never read the first four books. Because they're signed. And I know (I hope!) I'll love this series just as much!

9) BOOKS ABOUT BOOKS

I will instantly pick up a book if it's about, well, books! Is it about a librarian? A bookseller? A reader? MR. PENUMBRA'S 24-HOUR BOOKSTORE by Robin Sloan. STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor. THE BINDING by Bridget Collins. THE SHADOW OF THE WIND by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.  ELIZA AND HER MONSTERS by Francesca Zappia. BOOKISHLY EVER AFTER by Isabel Bandeira. And that isn't even the tip of this bookish iceberg!



10) ELEMENTAL MAGIC

I will always be intrigued if a book is full of elemental magic. I don't always like books that use magic systems, depending on how it's detailed and explored, but I always love books that use the elements. Why, I don't know. Possibly due to Avatar: The Last Airbender? But I feel like my love might be older than that? Maybe we even go back to Tamora Pierce and her Circle Quartet...I just know I love them all!

BONUS) THE TYPE OF FANTASY AT THE BOOK'S HEART


I will always be more intrigued by questing fantasy, or fantasy full of court intrigue, than I will be by fantasy filled with mythical creatures such as elves and fae and werewolves and vampires and dragons. I am always more hesitant if there are a lot of these elements. Unless there are mermaids. I love mermaids. (Thanks, Ariel...). There are, of course, exceptions. I'm always glad when I take a chance and love a book: The fae in ACOTAR! The angels in UNEARTHLY by Cynthia Hand! The dragons in SERAPHINA by Rachel Hartman! But then I try to read another book like it and find so many that aren't well-done and I get discouraged and say I'm not a huge fan of such books all over again. But give me a book with kings and princesses and knights and assassins any day, any time and I am one happy clam!


What makes you immediately pick up a book to read???
 ^_^
 

Comments