Top Ten TV Shows / Movies Based on Retellings!

Welcome to Magic, Myth, & Mischief in celebration 
of fairy tales, mythology, and fantastic beasts of lore such as dragons, fae, mermaids, and unicorns!
Join our celebration daily at A Backwards Story and That Artsy Reader Girl!
Check out our daily schedule of events at ABS and TARG!
Stop back all week long for fun author interviews, exciting giveaways, reviews,
and more!

&

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish.
Every once in a while I participate in this one when I either
1) Like the theme, and/or 2) Have the time!

This week's topic:
Top Ten TV Shows / Movies Based on Retellings!

Okay, I modified the topic a bit today to fit the event. I'll be doing that all month. But hey, it just gives you more titles to discover!


In no particular order...



1) EVER AFTER



This movie is so underrated. I'm always amazed with how few people have heard of it! This is my second-favorite movie (Behind only Moulin Rouge) and I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. It made me fall in love with fairy tales all over again after I'd "outgrown" them. A Cinderella who knows how to save herself AND the guy? Plus wears gorgeous dresses? Okay, yes, please!


2) PETER PAN (2003)



Out of every rendition of Peter Pan I've seen, the 2003 rendition is my favorite. The magic, the enchantment, the actors! This movie makes me fall in love with this tale all over again every time. Jeremy Sumpter is perfection in the title role!


3) HOOK



Another favorite Neverland-inspired movie is Hook starring the late, great Robin Williams. What happens to Peter Pan when he grows up...and forgets? What happens when Captain Hook wants revenge and kidnaps Peter's children? This movie is a classic!
Plus, Rufio is an amazing new character--and much later in life, I fell for Dante Basco a second time as he voiced Prince Zuko in Avatar: The Last Airbender!


4) WHAT DREAMS MAY COME



Speaking of Robin Williams! This isn't a direct retelling, but it pulls in a lot of mythology about the Underworld and what happens "after death." I actually haven't watched this movie since Robin Williams passed away. It's too sad. But I really love the world and atmosphere of this movie!



5) INTO THE WOODS



When I found out that my all-time favorite musical was going to be a movie, I got really excited. Even more so when I saw the stellar cast! When the first look at the costumes came in a special issue of Entertainment Weekly, I was entranced. I think Disney did a beautiful job bringing this show to life and making it more accessible to people not as theatre-crazy as I am. Though I still miss not having the "Agony" reprise in there, even in the end credits as a bonus, but it's not really very Disney, so I get it!


6) LABYRINTH



What list would be complete without an appearance from The Goblin King himself? It's a musical plus a story. Of course I'm obsessed! There are a lot of tales of The Goblin King, but this is one of my favorites!


7) ONCE UPON A TIME





It's not perfect and has a lot of filler, but I have really enjoyed watching this show over the years. It definitely should have ended last season because that ending was PERFECT, but you know what? I'm going to miss it!



8) PENELOPE




I don't think this is actually based on anything in particular, but it has the feel of a fairy tale, and it's a movie that always makes me smile. I love this story of a girl cursed with a pig's nose until someone can love her for her despite her appearance!


9) BEAUTY AND THE BEAST




Another musical that I thought adapted well to the screen was Beauty and the Beast. I wasn't sure what to think when I saw that it was going to be a live action movie, but I was excited. I was nervous about the casting of Emma Watson, and okay, I still wish the singing was a little better. But I also wish that the Beast's song "If I Can't Love Her" from the stage show made it in, even though I also enjoy "Evermore." I can't have perfection, but I can have beauty, and this movie still steals my heart. Also, that dance number during "Gaston?" Best thing EVER. I seriously will just watch them up on the table again and again and again. It's entrancing! And that WASN'T one of my favorite numbers in the original movie!





10) PRINCESS OF THIEVES




This was one of the earliest movies Keira Knightley did, and it was very blink-and-you-miss-it. Most people don't know it exists! It stars Robin Hood's daughter, and showcases that girls can have adventures, too! Man, I haven't watched this in years. I might just have to pull it out this month!

This first aired on ABC's The Wonderful World of Disney, back when they made straight-to-TV movies. Fun fact: The same year, the made Snow White: Fairest of Them All starring Smallville's Kristin Kreuk! See if you can scout them both down. I seriously want to dig these out now!






What movies / TV show retellings are your favorites?
 ^_^
 

Comments