Andrew Lloyd Webber is working on a modern-day Cinderella Musical!?




Welcome to Magic, Myth, & Mischief in celebration 
of fairy tales, mythology, and fantastic beasts of lore such as dragons, fae, mermaids, and unicorns!
Join our celebration daily at A Backwards Story and That Artsy Reader Girl!
Check out our daily schedule of events at ABS and TARG!
Stop back all week long for fun author interviews, exciting giveaways, reviews,
and more!

So, you guys know I'm obsessed with musicals, right? So much so that in addition to this blog, I also review for BroadwayWorld's book leg? (Which you should totally follow if you don't already! This week has been a big "industry" news week, so the reviews are light, but today I chatted about Netflix acquiring DUMPLIN' this week and dropping the Dolly Parton song today--which you can hear right now via the post!, yesterday I talked about a behind-the-scenes Harry Potter / Fantastic Beasts book releasing exclusively on Audible, I posted about THE HATE U GIVE moving its release date up two weeks and, best of all, I interviewed Susan Dennard when the news broke that the Jim Henson Studio picked up her Witchlands series for TV! )

*ahem*

Today, when I went to post about DUMPLIN', I noticed the trending articles column and saw an article about Andrew Lloyd Webber, who has composed blockbuster musicals such as The Phantom of the Opera (Which is the longest-running Broadway musical and the second-longest running West End musical behind only Les Mis), Evita, Cats, Jesus Christ Superstar, and so much more.

Webber is working on a modern-day Cinderella! Webber isn't personally my favorite Broadway composer and his shows are hit or miss for me, but one of the last shows he mounted, The Woman in White (Based on the novel by Wilkie Collins), is more Sondheim in tone and a favorite of mine from him. I'm definitely intrigued to see how this will sound! His most recent musical, School of Rock, is very different in tone from many of his previous shows as well.

Are you as intrigued as I am by this???

I'm going to copy/paste the article from BroadwayWorld below:

Fresh off of his newly-minted EGOT status, Andrew Lloyd Webber has revealed to The Hollywood Reporterthat he is working on a new musical project. He will be adapting Cinderella with a modern twist.
Webber is working with Tom MacRae and Emerald Fennell to create the piece. MacRae most recently wrote the book and lyrics for West End smash hit Everybody's Talking About Jamie, and Fennell is an actress who starred in the BBC series Call The Midwife.
 working with young writers whose combined ages add up to less than mine," Lloyd Webber said. "It's delightful to have such young collaborators and I'm completely captivated by what they've done with the story. Now that I've said I'm going to do it, I have to get to my piano."
"They have remade Cinderella into a completely modern, feisty girl," he said. "Every piece of the story is followed, but it will be turned around so it's not at all what you expect it to be. It just turns the whole thing around on itself."
The score for the piece is expected to be finished by the end of the year.
It was asked if the piece will find a home on the small screen, like Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella, starring Julie Andrews, in 1957, especially following the recent success of Jesus Christ Superstar Live.
Webber said it's possible, but, "I'm a theater animal, so my feeling is that it will be for the stage," he said. "In any case that's where it will end up."
The show will be produced by Webber's Really Useful Group, and is expected to follow the usual development trajectory for a musical of 18 months-two years minimum. He also said that while it is too early to give exact details, the setting for the piece will be neither a traditional fairy tale kingdom nor a recognizable contemporary location.
"It takes it away from the world of magic and fairy godmothers, but it's not going to be anywhere nearly as modern as, say, Los Angeles in 2023," he explained. "I can't really say more about it at this point."

Comments