Today, SO GLAD TO MEET YOU author Lisa Super talks about theatre auditions....and you could win a copy of the book + a swag pack!

Follow the tour for more reviews, interviews, and more!


You guys!!! SKY IN THE DEP by Adrienne Young is a really great new book releasing later this month on April  24th. I'm excited to share my review with you closer to release because I have so many things to say, but for now, I have a really awesome guest post for you! 

Adrienne is chatting about the sibling relationship that plays such a pivotal role in SKY IN THE DEEP as well as talking about her own siblings!

You can also enter to win a copy of the book, and this is one 2018 title you won't want to miss!






Lisa Super is a brunch enthusiast based in Los Angeles. She's worked on a number of TV shows ranging from pop culture phenomenons (Flavor of Love) to traumedy gold (One Mississippi). While every day in LA is an adventure, traveling with her husband across the globe is her favorite hobby. SO GLAD TO MEET YOU is her first novel.








Hi, Bonnie. Thank you so much for having me on to talk about theatre, which I could talk about all day! I was quite active in my high school drama department. And the summer between my junior and senior year I interned at First Folio Theatre (then First Folio Shakespeare), an outstanding theatre that’s won multiple Jeff awards (the Tonys of Chicago). I seriously considered a career on the stage. So I imagine that many of my YA novels will have bits of theatre sprinkled in them, as So Glad to Meet You does.

In SGTMY, the MC, Daphne, has been living her life behind the scenes, and she finally gains the courage to audition for her school production of Our Town. Her audition scene is partly inspired by one of my own auditions, one of my favorite high school memories.

My audition was for the role of Mrs. Mullin from Carousel. She was the largest part with no singing because I know my frailties and my singing voice is one of them. I was going out for Mrs. Mullin as a junior. Heading into the audition, I was up against many senior girls with more experience. Mrs. Mullin is a tough cookie. She runs a traveling carousel at a time uncommon for women to run businesses. It’s also implied that she’s been having an after-hours relationship with Billy, the significantly younger male lead who’s now fancying some silly girl named Julie (who can sing!).

I don’t remember the specifics of the audition scene, but it involved Mrs. Mullin chatting up Billy, trying to coax him back to her. The director stressed how important it was for Mrs. Mullin to be direct and make a move on Billy. This was the scene where the audience would realize the two probably had a recent history, and it wasn’t written in the lines, so it was up to body language. Senior after senior girl auditioned and performed the lines. When it was my turn, I knew the only way to stand out was to be aggressive. In real life, I was shy and terrible at flirting, so I took this as a challenge. The poor boy I was paired with as Billy was not prepared. I carried all the attitude I could and moved in close (I did not touch him). The color drained from his face and he backed away. I followed him. He backed up again. I took another step. The audience was giggling, I think even Billy had broken into nervous laughter, but I didn’t break. I kept moving in.

When the cast list posted with my name listed next to Mrs. Mullin’s, some of the senior girls who’d auditioned for the part congratulated me. They told me I deserved it because I’d put it all out there. And they were right. Yeah, I’d been embarrassed for five minutes, but I had no regrets. The same way Daphne has no regrets in SGTMY. She really goes for her audition, and her satisfaction comes more from the audition than the role she lands. It’s a mini life lesson wrapped up in a theatre scene.

  ~*~

O F F I C I A   I N F O:

Title: SO GLAD TO MEET YOU
Author: Lisa Super
Release Date: July 31, 2018
Publisher: Diversion Books
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39302768-so-glad-to-meet-you
Purchase Links:



SUMMARY:


Seventeen-year-old Daphne Bowman, a bookish drama nerd in public school, might never have crossed paths with Oliver, the popular, outgoing mascot for his private school's football team, but one event has bound them inextricably. Daphne's older sister, Emily, and Oliver's older brother, Jason, who were high school sweethearts, committed suicide together seven years earlier. 

When Daphne uncovers Emily and Jason's bucket list—a list comprised of their "Top Ten" places to visit before they die—she knows she has to tell someone. The one person who might actually get what she's going through and who might not think it's silly that she wants to complete the list, is also someone she's never spoken to—Oliver Pagano. Throwing caution to the wind, Daphne sends Oliver a Facebook message that will come to change the course of both of their senior years—and maybe their entire lives. 

Tackling grief with a wry voice and an unflinching eye, SO GLAD TO MEET YOU tells the story of two people who, in searching for what they've lost, end up finding what they never knew they needed—each other.  




~*~

GIVEAWAY



You could win...

A copy of SO GLAD TO MEET YOU and other swag!

You must be at least 13 years old to enter or have a parent's permission!


Enter now! 

THANK YOU TO



Comments