{Picture Book Review} THEY ALL SAW A CAT by Brendan Wenzel


O P E N I N G   L I N E:


THE CAT WALKED THROUGH THE WORLD,
WITH ITS WHISKERS, EARS, AND PAWS...  

(pgs. 1-2, US Hardcover Edition)


One of my favorite picture books of 2016 is THEY ALL SAW A CAT by Brendan Wenzel. I would love, love, LOVE if it got a Caldecott Honor in January.

I think what I love so much about this book is the way it makes you THINK. Everyone who reads this book actually LEARNS something.

A lot of people aren't aware of how differently all creatures perceive the world from one another. Or they dimly know it, but don't think about it. THEY ALL SAW A CAT looks at the way we all see a cat, from the traditional form we know as humans to the way a mouse sees it as prey, to the way it sees itself.

Here are a few examples of how other creatures see the cat that really cement my love of this book:

One of my FAVORITE pictures from the entire book, here is how a bee sees a cat!
This picture is hilarious! I love that there's an image of how a flea sees a cat!!!
This is probably my other favorite page. I love the way it shows vibrations and sonar signals to build
the image of a cat as see by both a worm and a bat!!!
Another funny image of a fish seeing a cat!!! Glugh, glugh!

This not only shows the science behind the way we all see, but also gives a subliminal message: We all see things differently.

For example, as humans, a lot of us love the cat as a pet. For a fox, the cat is prey. For a mouse, the cat is scary!!! It all depends on perspective.

Heck, even two humans can see the same thing through different eyes (And I'm not talking color blindness or 20/20 vision). We all view EVERYTHING through our own tinted glasses, which is why there's always three sides to every story: THEIR side, YOUR side, and the TRUE side. Well, maybe it's reaching to say that's the message of this story, but it can be implied and build a foundation for later lessons! ^.~

If you're looking for a fun picture book that reads fast, doesn't have a lot of words, but still delivers a strong message, THEY ALL SAW A CAT is a great one to pick up! I personally feel it's one of 2016's best picture book releases!

O F F I C I A L   I N F O:


Title:  THEY ALL SAW A CAT
Author: Brendan Wenzel
Illustrator: Brendan Wenzel
Release Date: August 30, 2016
Publisher: Chronicle Books
Received: Borrowed
SUMMARY:

The cat walked through the world, with its whiskers, ears, and paws . . .

In this glorious celebration of observation, curiosity, and imagination, Brendan Wenzel shows us the many lives of one cat, and how perspective shapes what we see. When you see a cat, what do you see?


Comments