{A Twist in the Tail} HANSEL & GRETEL by Neil Gaiman...upcoming book AND movie!



Love fairy tales and mythology?
Fans of mermaids, dragons, unicorns, and other mythical creatures?
Enjoy when a beloved classic tale is retold?
A Twist in the Tail Thursdays features all this and more!


Do you like Hansel and Gretel? Do you wish there were more retellings?

I can think of FOUR retellings off the top of my head. Only FOUR.

I've really enjoyed reading SWEETLY by Jackson Pearce (Don't know it? Here's my review!
Then there's middle-grade novel A TALE DARK AND GRIMM by Adam Gidwitz (Confession: I still have to buy/read this. I really, REALLY want to! Eventually...!
Throw in a book that may be out of print now, THE MAGIC CIRCLE by Donna Jo Napoli.
And...well, we won't talk about Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I pretend that movie doesn't exist, don't you? 
There isn't even a Hansel and Gretel retelling in Simon Pulse's huge Once Upon a Time series that I can recall!

But....

I recently found out that we're scheduled to get a new retelling soon! It will be coming to us as both a graphic novel AND a movie...and it will both come from the enchanting mind of Neil Gaiman!

1. Next month, Neil Gaiman is coming out with a middle-grade graphic novel entitled HANSEL & GRETEL, with illustrations by Lorenzo Mattotti. Neil Gaiman AND fairy tales? TOGETHER? I am in. I AM SO IN!


TITLE: HANSEL & GRETEL (Toon Books Graphic Novels)
Author: Neil Gaiman
Illustrator: Lorenzo Mattotti
Release Date: October 28, 2014
Publisher: Toon Books

SUMMARY:

Best-selling author Neil Gaiman and fine artist Lorenzo Mattotti join forces to create HANSEL & GRETEL, a stunning book that’s at once as familiar as a dream and as evocative as a nightmare. Mattotti’s sweeping ink illustrations capture the terror and longing found in the classic Brothers Grimm fairy tale. Neil Gaiman crafts an original text filled with his signature wit and pathos that is sure to become a favorite of readers everywhere, young and old.
~*~
2. This one dosn't even have a listing on IMDB yet, it's so new. According to Variety, Juliet Blake (The Hundred-Foot Journey) is working on adapting Neil Gaiman's upcoming graphic novel HANSEL & GRETEL for the big screen! I hope it will be illustrated, since it's based on a graphic novel. Coraline came out really well, after all! Then again, I also have a soft spot for his live-action features such as Stardust. Buuuut....it's a graphic novel. Illustrations, please! The article doesn't mention what kind of movie it will be yet!
~*~
What are you favorite retellings of  
Hansel and Gretel?

Comments

  1. Sounds like a great read and to add book on my good read :) Love coralline

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!