Paperback or Hardcover? The covers of TELL THE WOLVES I'M HOME by Carol Rifka Brunt




I REALLY need to find a more universal name for my Monday Cover posts, because the artwork isn't always being Revealed and the Cover Crazy meme is long defunct. I should get on that...

Anyway, this week, I saw a paperback version of TELL THE WOLVES I'M HOME by Carol Rifka Brunt at the store and fell in love. I remembered liking the cover when the book was in hardcover, too, but thought it had been a little different. After looking it up online? I was right!

THE PAPERBACK:

THE HARDCOVER:

Which one do you prefer?

I personally like both, but the paperback is my favorite of the two. I love the coloring a little more, and I like the change in design. It still utilizes the awesome cut-out teapot, but now there's a girl standing on top of it, giving it a sort of Alice in Wonderland feel.

The hardcover, on the other hand, reminds me of Goldilocks and the Three Bears.
(I'm sure this book isn't any sort of retelling, but that's what these covers make me think and why I noticed it to begin with! After reading the summary, I'm still not 100% sure of what exactly the book will be about, but it sounds intriguing enough that I want to read it now! Plus? Super intriguing title! ...And it's again fairy tale-esque in my addled brain!)

Anyway, I like the optical illusion of the color, which, again, reminds me of fairy tales (Specifically, the hardcover versions of SISTERS RED and SWEETLY by Jackson Pearce). There's this awesome bear hanging out on the cover, and a silhouette of a girl within that.

I also love the twisty sign that makes up the cover on both books. While the curly edges are fun on the hardcover edition, I like the cleanness of all that not being there on the paperback.

This book makes me step back and do a double take. What about you?

What are your thoughts about the cover?
Are you excited to read this one? 

O F F I C I A L   I N F O:

Title: TELL THE WOLVES I'M HOME
Author: Carol Rifka Brunt
Release Date: June 19, 2012
Publisher: Dial / Random House
SUMMARY:

In this striking literary debut, Carol Rifka Brunt unfolds a moving story of love, grief, and renewal as two lonely people become the unlikeliest of friends and find that sometimes you don’t know you’ve lost someone until you’ve found them. 

1987. There’s only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and that’s her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss. Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn’s company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend. So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness her mother can barely speak about, June’s world is turned upside down. But Finn’s death brings a surprise acquaintance into June’s life—someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family, and even her own heart. 

At Finn’s funeral, June notices a strange man lingering just beyond the crowd. A few days later, she receives a package in the mail. Inside is a beautiful teapot she recognizes from Finn’s apartment, and a note from Toby, the stranger, asking for an opportunity to meet. As the two begin to spend time together, June realizes she’s not the only one who misses Finn, and if she can bring herself to trust this unexpected friend, he just might be the one she needs the most. 

An emotionally charged coming-of-age novel, Tell the Wolves I’m Home is a tender story of love lost and found, an unforgettable portrait of the way compassion can make us whole again.

Comments

  1. I prefer the paperback cover too – the bear on the hardcover kinda creeps me out! Also, totally didn't notice that girl standing on the teapot until I read your comments, lol XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love looking at a cover again and seeing things I missed the first time around!
      Ahh, and yes, he IS creepy!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!