{Interview} KC Hilton, author of the upcoming novel MY NAME IS RAPUNZEL

Click here to go back to the Fairy Tale Fortnight Main Page, 
where you can access the schedule!
Here's what's going on at A Backwards Story!
 Or go here to get involved!

MY NAME IS RAPUNZEL will be available later this year!
~*~

K.C. Hilton has always been entranced by stories of magical adventure, and though she has had to live in the practical world, running a family business as well as two of her own, she has discovered that writing is an entirely new, exciting adventure all on its own!

Follow K.C. on her blog, Facebook, and Twitter.
An interview with 
author K.C. Hilton

Your summary for MY NAME IS RAPUNZEL is so intriguing. Can you tell us a little bit about the true story behind Rapunzel, and what drew you to the story and made you want to change it up with your own take?

I can’t give too much away about Rapunzel’s true story. But, what I can say is that a few things remained constant with the stories we all know: Rapunzel’s long hair, the tower and the witch. Rapunzel’s true story tells a new tale of how and why she lives in a tower. Has anyone wondered why her hair is so long? Rapunzel enlightens us about that and much more! 

I stumbled upon an image of a woman posing as Rapunzel. Immediately her beauty captivated me. After seeing that photo, the wheels in my head started turning. I contacted a book cover designer and had the cover made for the book before I had even begun to write the story. I used it as inspiration. When I knew Rapunzel’s true story, in my head, I posted the book cover on Goodreads.

MY NAME IS RAPUNZEL has gotten a very enthusiastic pre-publication response on Goodreads.  What has the experience been like for you?  What's the most surprising thing about bringing the story to life? Most exciting?

I’m very thankful for all the readers being excited about MY NAME IS RAPUNZEL  I never expected it to gain this much attention. It was a total shocker! At first, it was stressful and I felt the pressure. After reading some of the comments, I knew I couldn’t let the readers down. This book had to be good! I hired a professional editor and the book is nearly finished. 

The only dilemma I’m facing now is how it will be published. If I self-publish, the book could be out before summer. If I choose to go the traditional route (if it’s accepted) it could take up to a year before publication. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. 

The most exciting thing about bringing Rapunzel’s story to life was how Rapunzel’s character took over while I was writing it. It sounds strange, but it’s true! The most exciting part was putting a new twist on what we, as readers, know about Rapunzel. I've built a new world and I hope everyone enjoys it! This is the biggest book I've written, so far =)

As much as we may love any particular tale, each has its own "problematic" aspects (for me, I can't get over the fact that Prince Charming has to find Cinderella, the glorious love of his life, by matching up her feet. I mean, really?). Which problematic aspect of a tale really gets under your skin?

I too have a problem with Cinderella. The issue I have (not that Cinderella should be mean) is that Cinderella should find her voice and stand up for herself. She’s constantly being told what to do and being pushed around. It gets under my skin that she’s constantly being ridiculed and bullied around. Have you ever wanted to reach through a book and strangle someone?

Which fairy tale would you most like to spend 24 hours inside of, and which the least?

Oh, I’d love to visit Neverland and hang out with Peter Pan and the Lost Boys! I could fly and meet Tinker Bell. 

I wouldn’t enjoy visiting Cinderella’s world. Because I’d probably back talk her stepmother and end up in the dungeon! LOL.

If you could merge any two fairy tales (introduce the characters, combine the worlds, etc), which would they be and what would result?

Rumpelstiltskin and Snow White! He would fall in love with Snow White and ultimately be her hero. Oh, such sweet love =)


You have a fairy godmother who is granting you one perfect day: what does that entail?

To relax on the beach with my husband and a good book. No work, no phone and no Internet. Oh, to be off the grid for just one day! It sounds so relaxing =)

Most overrated fairy tale?

Cinderella.

Your favorite obscure (or less well-known) fairy tale?

Silver Hoof. 

It's a Russian fairy tale. I have one of the delicate porcelain boxes (from Russia) painted by a Russian artist. Only a few were made. It was a gift from a friend and I hold it dear.



QUICKFIRE FUN STUFF:
This or That?


Seven League Boots or Glass Slippers?

Glass Slippers! Oh, yeah!


Castle or Cottage?

A Castle! OMG!


Talking Birds or Talking Mice?

Talking Birds! Yay!


Prince or pauper?

Pauper! We wouldn’t be spoiled!

Hans Christian Andersen or the Brothers Grimm?

Oh, I like them both!

Would You Rather...
Ride in a pumpkin carriage (sticky) or climb a hair-rope (tiring) to get where you're going?

A pumpkin carriage would be much easier than climbing a hair-rope =)

Face 3 Billy Goats Gruff or 3 Bears from Goldilocks?

Oh, 3 Bears from Goldilocks =)


Be able to spin straw into gold or have precious gems drop from your lips when you speak?

Spin straw into gold! Although, we would be rich if gems dropped from my lips when I spoke because I talk so much! LOL.



Be cursed with blindness (Rapunzel) or knife-like pain when you walk (Little Mermaid)?

Knife-like pain when I walked. I’d lay around all day or use a wheelchair =)

Thank you so much, K.C.
We're all looking forward to seeing what's to come with MY NAME IS RAPUNZEL!
  ~*~
O F F I C I A L   I N F O:


Title:  MY NAME IS RAPUNZEL
Author: K.C. Hilton
Release Date: 2013
SUMMARY:

My tale has been told again and again, and I’ve heard each one. Except for my hair, I barely recognize the pitiful renditions. Muddled versions, crafted to entertain laughing children…but the children wouldn’t have laughed if they’d known the real story. It wasn't their fault. They didn't know the truth. Nobody did. 

My name is Rapunzel and I will tell you my story. I will tell you the truth.

Comments

  1. Excellent interview! I love that you used the cover as inspiration - it is such a beautiful cover. And a Rumplestiltskin/Snow White mash-up would be interesting, to say the least! Your next book, perhaps? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This books sounds so amazing and I love Rapunzel so I can't wait to read it to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to read this. I've been crushing on the cover for quite a bit ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like these new versions of the fairytales we grew up with. Well some of them anyways. I do agree that Cinderella is way over rated and there are so many different versions out there. I liked the new Snow White and the Huntsman quite a bit. I am curious as to what kind of spin you will bring to Rapunzel. Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!