{Cover Art Revealed} Josin L. McQuein's ARCLIGHT and PREMEDITATED

 
 
Recently, Josin L. McQuein revealed the cover for her upcoming debut novel, ARCLIGHT.  While nosing around on her sight, I was delighted to see that her other 2013 release, PREMEDITATED, already had a cover, even though it comes out later in the year!
 
I've been following Josin's blog ever since she entered her query to be critiqued online for PREMEDITATED.  You guys, it sounds so AWESOME.  And the query is basically the summary you'll see below in the moment. 
 
Because of her pitch alone, I want to read everything by this woman.  See what a good query can do? ^.~
 

ARCLIGHT by Josin L. McQuein
 
I do like the fact that the cover is full of rays of light, which reflect the title, as well as a big part of the novel, going by the summary alone.  I also like the haunted look in the model's eyes, like she's nervous or on the run or in hiding or something.  Great expression!  It will be interesting to see if they're planning any special effects for this cover.
 
I'm also excited by the fact that ARCLIGHT was picked up by the Greenwillow Books imprint, which is one of my favorite imprints when it comes to gripping fantasy reads.  So many amazing authors are housed there!
 
Release Date: April 23, 2013
Publisher: Greenwillow Books/HarperCollins

 
SUMMARY:

No one crosses the wall of light . . . except for one girl who doesn’t remember who she is, where she came from, or how she survived. A harrowing, powerful debut thriller about finding yourself and protecting your future—no matter how short and uncertain it may be.

The Arclight is the last defense. The Fade can’t get in. Outside the Arclight’s border of high-powered beams is the Dark. And between the Light and the Dark is the Grey, a narrow, barren no-man’s-land. That’s where the rescue team finds Marina, a lone teenage girl with no memory of the horrors she faced or the family she lost. Marina is the only person who has ever survived an encounter with the Fade. She’s the first hope humanity has had in generations, but she could also be the catalyst for their final destruction. Because the Fade will stop at nothing to get her back. Marina knows it. Tobin, who’s determined to take his revenge on the Fade, knows it. Anne-Marie, who just wishes it were all over, knows it.

When one of the Fade infiltrates the Arclight and Marina recognizes it, she will begin to unlock secrets she didn’t even know she had. Who will Marina become? Who can she never be again?

and now, onto the next cover/summary!
 


PREMEDITATED by Josin L. McQuein
 
The cover is striking and unexpected, just like the following summary.  It makes you sit up and take notice.  Who is the girl peering out?  What is she peering through, and how did it shatter?
 
I also like the way the title is red with black edging and white grunge flecked through it.  It's multi-faceted and gives me a "dark" feeling, which suits the mood of the book well.
 
You guys, I'm excited for this book all over again!
 
Release Date: October, 2013

Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers/Random House

 
SUMMARY:

A week ago, Dinah’s cousin Claire cut her wrists.

Five days ago, Dinah found Claire’s diary and discovered why.

Three days ago, Dinah stopped crying and came up with a plan.

Two days ago, she ditched her piercings and bleached the black dye from her hair.

Yesterday, knee socks and uniform plaid became a predator’s camouflage.

Today, she’ll find the boy who broke Claire.

By tomorrow, he’ll wish he were dead.
 
What are your thoughts on the covers? 
Are you as excited as I am for this upcoming new author?

Comments

  1. I don't normally comment when my books are mentioned because it makes some readers nervous to see input or thanks from an author. But as this isn't a review, and you asked something I can answer, I'll risk it. ;-)

    Yes, the ARCLIGHT cover has special effects. The title's embossed, and all of those light rays are embossed foil. It comes off as an *extremely* shiny prismatic effect where the colors look different depending on the angle you hold the book from. (I won't spoiler anything, but angles of light affecting appearance is actually a detail from the book.)

    I haven't seen anything other than the JPEG for PREMEDITATED, so I'm not sure how its final composition will look.

    Thanks for the double feature. I've not seen the books together like this anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Josin! I don't mind at all! I'm excited that there will, in fact, be special effects on the cover. I can't wait to see them!! I love how closely this is going to resemble your book, and now I want it even more <3

      I'm hoping PREMEDITATED has ridging and a unique feel as well. I'm such a sucker for that!

      Delete
  2. Josin, I'm glad you commented because just looking at the two on my computer, I'm drawn more to Premeditated. Now that you mention that Arclight has some special cover effects, I bet its one which will look much better in real life than in a photograph (jpeg).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! And I've seen that a lot with HarperCollins in general. They do a lot of special effects that take a book from what you see on the web to something special. The UNEARTHLY trilogy comes immediately to mind, but I've thought this many times :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!