Terry Goodkind's latest novel is exclusively in e-book format!

Bestselling fantasy author Terry Goodkind's latest novel, THE FIRST CONFESSOR: The Legend of Magda Searus, is available exclusively as an e-book in a new experiment.  Rather than accept a lucrative advance, Goodkind decided to self-publish a prequel series predating his bestselling THE SWORD OF TRUTH series. 

For those who don't know the books, you may or may not be familiar with Sam Raimi's two-season blink-and-you-missed-it TV series entitled LEGEND OF THE SEEKER.  While not all that similar to the book series, it's what introduced me to Goodkind, as I'm sure it did many other readers as well.

In his press release, Goodkind states, "The book is 103 chapters at length and approximately 35% longer than THE OMEN MACHINE."  The hardcover edition of THE OMEN  MACHINE clocks in at 525 pages.  Longer books are easier to read on e-readers (to me at least) because they're not as heavy.


At the same time, I own all of Goodkind's books in hardcover and like having my books match, whether they're in hardcover, paperback, or e-book format.  Then again, I'm not even through the first book yet, so I probably can't talk.  


Last year, my local used bookstore had 9 of the 12 titles in hardcover (mostly first edition, no less!) for $2 each.  I bought the remaining 3 used online through sites such as Abe Books and the Amazon Marketplace, then pre-ordered THE OMEN MACHINE brand-new at a great discount to receive an autographed copy.  

Now, I'm wondering if I should read THE FIRST CONFESSOR before picking WIZARD'S FIRST RULE back up. (Er...re-reading from the beginning because it's been about a year....?)  Any longtime readers have any suggestions on this one?  I feel like if it's okay to read this first, THE FIRST CONFESSOR has the potential to bring many brand-new readers to the series, especially if the idea of such a long series feels as daunting to them as it does to me.  I love reading, I love fantasy, I love super-long books, but even so, 14 long books in a series when my TBR pile is already sky-high is intimidating.

Comments