{Mad About Nails} HALF-BLOOD-Inspired Nail Art

I've had quite a few people comment on my nails in the past ask what I was using or wish I'd done a close-up so they could see better, etc., etc., and had a realization: Why not do a feature on nail polish? It's not book-related (Unless you're wearing the new HUNGER GAMES-inspired line from China Glaze, but I'm not even going into how wrong that is...), but it's fun. Plus, if I do this feature, I'll be more likely to re-paint my nails this week and less likely to let them chip their way to the bare bones (which would mean that I could see my nails...and if I see them, I want to bite them!).

Welcome back to another edition of Mad About Nails! 

This week, I painted my nails to celebrate Jennifer L. Armentrout's SENTINEL Launch Party!

Check out the wrap-up post for photos, breaking news, full tour audio, and an autographed giveaway!

But for now...NAILS!





I chose to recreate the first book in The Covenant Series, HALF-BLOOD, because it's not only the first book in the series (Meaning it's Jennifer L. Armentrout's debut novel AND the first book I ever read by her AND the first time I ever worked with the amazing Spencer Hill Press), but it's PURPLE. And I loooooove purple!

Here's a video of the materials used
(Or keep reading below!):




These two are POWERHOUSES for
long-lasting manicures!  One lasted
1.5 weeks, the other for 2!!!
I started off with a basecoat of ORLY "Bonder."  Many of the professional nail studios use this as a basecoat when doing nails for their clients.  It's a rubberized coat that helps polish adhere to the nail.  It stinks, but it's great!

I finished the base color off with a top coat of Revlon's "Quick Dry Top Coat."  I'd heard it was a rival for the legendary Seche Vite, but with fewer harsh chemicals.  It also doesn't go bad in the bottle or shrink when used.  I was intrigued, and so far, this stuff is
          FABULOUS.

Together, this combo has made my nails last, on average, 1.5 to 2 weeks. They're both awesome!


THE DESIGN:

I started out with China Glaze "Charmed, I'm Sure" from the 2013 Fall Autumn Nights Collection as my base. I was really sad that Zoya's 2013 Fall Collection, Cashmeres and Satins, had great vampy creme colors, but NO dark purple. "Charmed, I'm Sure" fills that void nicely and will be paired with Zoya's collection. Their loss, my gain! "Charmed, I'm Sure" is a beautiful deep, dark, vampy purple. Definitely use a base coat when wearing dark colors or they might stain! The application was nice and smooth, leveled well, and looked great all by itself!

But I had to do a design, of course! I was originally going to do nail stamping, but decided to try out some textured glitter polish from Zoya, instead, and I wasn't sure how well it would stamp. I also did this 100% freehand because my dotting tools were MIA and it was late at night, so I didn't want to go downstairs to look for them. It's a little sloppy, sorry!

The flowers are a combination of Zoya "Stevie" from the 2013 Summer Pixie Dust Collection and Zoya "Tomoko" from the 2013 Fall Pixie Dust Collection. "Stevie" is a beautiful bright lilac, and "Tomoko" is a stunning champagne color, perfect for the holidays! I had a little trouble with the application of "Stevie." It was thick and gloppy, and I kept making mistakes. You should see how bad my right hand looks from all the glopping. I'd been so excited for Stevie, and I don't know if it was bad formula, or a bad bottle! "Tomoko" (and, in fact, the other Pixie Dust colors I own!) apply just fine!

I love Book-Inspired nails, don't you?

 Is anyone else obsessed with nail polish? What are you wearing right now?

Comments

  1. Hi! I just found your blog through Pinterest. I do book inspired manis too and I love seeing other bookish nails. I actually have not read this series yet (but I love the Obsidian series). I like the way these came out. The flowers are really pretty. I have a bottle of Stevie at home but can't remember how the formula is. Sorry that yours seems to be a dud.

    Have a good weekend. I look forward to seeing more manis!

    nite lite book reviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!