{Guest Post} with Alexa Loves Books: 1 + 1 + 1 = Alexa’s Fairytale Favorites

Click here to go back to the Fairy Tale Fortnight Main Page, 
where you can access the schedule!
Here's what's going on at A Backwards Story!
 Or go here to get involved!

~*~
Alexa is an aspiring writer and the book blogger behind Alexa Loves Books. Her blog is primarily a review blog, featuring mostly YA novels, with a few contemporary and romance novels included at times. She also posts about personal things, like her travel adventures and her life in New York City.

Visit her blog and find her on Twitter and Facebook!

1 + 1 + 1 = Alexa’s Fairytale Favorites


My childhood was defined by Disney movies. I loved all of them, but my favorites were the ones based on fairytales. My knowledge of these fairytales remained on the “Disney level” until I was older and discovered the original stories.  I’m not ashamed to say that I’ve been in love with fairytales ever since.

There’s something utterly fascinating about fairytales. Not only are they creative, they also usually teach us a lesson or two or offer up a hero/heroine to root for. I’m excited to share with you my top five fairytales as of today, and perhaps to share a modern retelling or two.

The Little Mermaid

(Photo Sources 123)
Favorite Retelling: MIDNIGHT PEARLS by Cameron Dokey (Goodreads)
Why I Love It: There’s something incredibly fascinating about the idea of an entirely different world set under the sea. Plus, The Little Mermaid did act out of love for most of this story and was very unselfish (in the original fairytale ending).

Beauty & the Beast

(Photo Sources 1, 2, 3)
Favorite Retelling: BELLE by Cameron Dokey (Goodreads)
Why I Love It: Beauty and the Beast is such a classic story, and it really makes you think about how often we judge others by how they appear to look or be. The Disney movie also turns Belle into this girl who wants more than what’s she comfortable with – and I love her spirit of adventure.

Mulan

(Photo Sources 1, 2, 3)
Favorite Retelling: Wild Orchid by Cameron Dokey (Goodreads)
Why I Love It: Mulan is just one of those fairytale heroines that you can totally root for. I think that it’s cool that we get to celebrate someone who is so strong, so brave and so smart! And hello, she’s Asian, which is totally awesome in my book.

Cinderella


Favorite Retelling: CINDER by Marissa Meyer (Goodreads)
Why I Love It: It’s a classic tale, obviously, but I do like the idea of Cinderella getting her happily ever after. Plus, I can never resist a good retelling or modern spin on it (*coughs* A Cinderella Story *coughs*).

Snow White

(Photo Sources 1, 2, 3)

Favorite Retelling: SNOW by Tracy Lynn (Goodreads)
Why I Love It: I’m honestly not a big fan of the Disney film, but I do love the way that this story gets retold in books and newer movies (like the hilarious Mirror Mirror, for instance). I think what we can learn from Snow White is be careful who you trust AND it’s good to have a great set of friends.

Obviously, there are so many more great fairytales and retellings out in the world. While I do recommend the originals for readers most of the time (not for young kids though, as the endings can be oddly gruesome or sad), I also recommend the Once Upon a Time series (Goodreads) for good fairytale retellings that are really easy to read.

So, you tell me – What are your favorite fairytales? What are your favorite books or movies based on fairytales?

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!