"The Girl Who Could Fly" by Victoria Forester (Debut Author)

Have you ever picked up a book and thought, "Hmm, that sounds interesting," then, upon reading it, think it's middle-ground, only to change your mind yet again because the final third is so good it more than makes up for everything else? That was my experience with The Girl Who Could Fly by Victoria Forester. I'm not saying the first two-thirds were sub-par or dislikable, just that I wasn't hanging onto
every twist and turn in the plot. By the end, however, I was hoping there was a sequel on the horizon, though there doesn't appear to be one yet.

I'm enamored with Forester's characters: Piper, who endeared herself to me with her cheery outlook on life that reminded me of Anne Shirley (from L.M. Montgomery's Green Gables series), Conrad, who was, at first, detestable, but grew to be my absolute favorite character, and I even found myself liking Dr. Hellion. The character development among the major players was handled quite well, and I truly cared for all of them by the end. If is a sequel is to come out, I'd like to see more fleshed out secondary characters as well as some light shed onto the mysterious J. There were too many things left hanging for there to not be a continuation despite the pretty bow typing up the majority of the story and bringing a sense of closure to the end.

The back cover of the book is what initially had me picking it up. I like reading about people who are exceptional. Ultimately, the book is about a bunch of kids with super powers. Our main character, Piper, for example, can fly. Upon discovering that Piper is "special," the government steps in and takes her away from her family to live in a secluded institution for people like her called I.N.S.A.N.E. (which stands for something scientific, but I forget what ^^;). At first, the school seems ob e wonderful and save, but we soon discover that there is something sinister lurking beneath the surface, something the government will go to great lengths to hide, even from the children under its protection...

Without going into further detail since I hate being spoiled and try not to ruin a book for other potential readers, I'll end by saying that this book had a lot of twists and turns, some of which I never saw coming. While some parts of the novel were ho-hum for my fickle mind, I stayed engaged and found The Girl Who Could Fly to be a great way to pass the time.

Comments

  1. I loved it in the beginning I thinking interesting then started slowly deporting but then POW I got back on it agian. This message is to Victoria Forester I loved this book so much but here a little suggestion whie I was reading wouldn't it have been cool if there was a scene after where Piper just recovred thanks to Jasper and everything well They here a scream coming from a lab and run towards the door and Smitty used his power and saw through the door and said it was all clear then they inched the door open and saw a girl in the machine that Piper had been in and she was just lying there. Then Jasper used his power and her hair that had been cut grew back it was black and long her eyes are deep brown and She wakes up her bame is Rin and she says that the professor came and took her away but she knew already that she was horrible so she tried to get away but she was no match for em. and her power is shapeshifting into animals and she can talk to them. I think that would have been so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow what an amazing book Victoria you are truly a gifted author

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to stop and comment! I appreciate it more than I can say. I try to respond to each one!